and another one...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pauluk

I was nearly run off the road once by a police car who didn't seem to care whether I got out of his way or not. He was passing a line of traffic and came at me head on. I had to swerve and drive up the kerb very quickly as he didn't slow down or give at all.

This kind of story bothers me a lot. I don't know the details of this particular case but I've heard there a number of people killed on the road by police cars every year. I sometimes wonder how they can justify driving the way they do, particularly in busy areas. I think the police call it the 'red mist' syndrome.

As the OP says, take care. Especially when police cars are around.

Maz

Guru
Scotland Yard said officers from Northolt police station are now investigating whether sirens and blue lights were in use.
They normally are in use, if the police car is dealing with an emergency, right?

hoski

Veteran
I often find emergency vehicles don't use their sirens until it's far too late (for me), i.e. they approach a junction with their lights flashing but don't use their sirens until they are within a few metres. It's fine for cars which have generally good all round visibility, but if you appear and pass me from behind within a few seconds as a cyclist, I'll be buggered if I have had a chance to see you at all.

They also seem to like blasting the siren just as they overtake me. Even when I know they are there it makes me jump/swerve.

I understand that I am only a small part of their whole journey - but I don't have an equivalent negative experience whilst driving.

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
I often find emergency vehicles don't use their sirens until it's far too late (for me), i.e. they approach a junction with their lights flashing but don't use their sirens until they are within a few metres. It's fine for cars which have generally good all round visibility, but if you appear and pass me from behind within a few seconds as a cyclist, I'll be buggered if I have had a chance to see you at all.

They also seem to like blasting the siren just as they overtake me. Even when I know they are there it makes me jump/swerve.

I understand that I am only a small part of their whole journey - but I don't have an equivalent negative experience whilst driving.

heh heh, I have two ambulance videos of this sort of thing.

Top Bottom