And My First 10 Miler - Well Nearly 11 Miler!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G2EWS

As mentioned in PrimalScream's thread, I only started commuting to work on Tuesday, 5 miles each way and took my journey by road from 28 minutes on Tuesday morning to 22 minutes on Friday afternoon.

Missed having a run out on Saturday so decided I would try going via the tank tracks to my office and back via my normal road route:

120909CycleRun.png

Getting up the hill at the start was always going to be hard. Last time I did it must be nearly 10 years ago and it was hard then! Not helped by the fact that the seat post had dropped! Re set that 2/3rd's of the way up and it was oh so much easier!

Dropped down the big hill you can see and was more nervous of meeting cars coming up the single tracked tarmac road, so had to keep braking. Must get some protection on my elbows and knees!

All in all, well chuffed and a beautiful day for it.

Will only be able to cycle to the office on two days next week, so will have to find some more routes!

Regards

Chris

RhythMick

Über Member
Definitely keep it up. 12 months ago 10 miles with a hill would have left me well out of breath. You hit a sudden point where it starts getting a lot easier. Couple of weeks or so will see a difference.

2 weeks ago I did the 215 mile coast to coast over 4 days. I'm 1.5 st lighter and a lot fitter than 12 months ago.

Definitely keep it up. 12 months ago 10 miles with a hill would have left me well out of breath. You hit a sudden point where it starts getting a lot easier. Couple of weeks or so will see a difference.

2 weeks ago I did the 215 mile coast to coast over 4 days. I'm 1.5 st lighter and a lot fitter than 12 months ago.
Got to agree, though it took me a little longer than a couple of weeks, though not much, when i started I couldn't do a 10 mile loop without stopping at least twice for a cig. it's not got the hill you have but which ever way I go round it the latter half is all climbing. Friday night I did the loop clockwise in 41:37 avg of 15mph (the best recorded on Strava) non stop, having done a shockingly bad 20m earlier in the day.

Berties

Fast and careful!
nice start,well done watch out for the tanks on the road ,they don't seem to bother with bikes to much,i rode out through bulford last week and had one come up behind me on a down hill then stuck behind me on a 15% up hill,i thought if i make one mistake its good night,they were that close

OP
OP
G2EWS

G2EWS

nice start,well done watch out for the tanks on the road ,they don't seem to bother with bikes to much,i rode out through bulford last week and had one come up behind me on a down hill then stuck behind me on a 15% up hill,i thought if i make one mistake its good night,they were that close

My week or should I say 4 days cycling to the office has been an eye opener. Vehicles have been very courteous. One juggernaut on the A342 realised he was not going to be past me before I turned for Urchfont/Lavingtons and held back for some time. I indicated I was turning left well before and thanked him when I did turn.

Just hope that attitude continues!

Regards

Chris

Boon 51

Veteran
Good effort and keep it going... :smile:

Top Bottom