And the Darwin Award goes to……..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Juliansou

Driving home tonight, I had literally a split second to react. I gave him a bit of room (thankfully nothing coming the other way) but I would still have classed it as a close pass!
Dressed in black, no lights/reflectors on a fast (ish) B road. I really can’t fathom why they think that’s ok???

0E66A600-6EAF-4722-BFD1-A6D186F67D34.jpeg

Jameshow

Veteran
We do ask for it sometimes!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I had exactly the same thing yesterday driving to work. Its a road I usually ride to work lit up like a Christmas tree. This is at 5am but plenty of vehicles come by. I actually stopped and asked if he had a death wish.

When you see reports of accidents involving bikes and cars. Dont attribute blame until you know the facts. There are some kin stupid cyclists out there as well.

I have no idea why they do it. I look like Tron when I leave the house in the morning.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Awaits the "cyclist's can do no wrong" brigade*, with "why didn"t you have your lights on full beam as there was nothing coming the other way? Then you would have seen the cyclist," and maybe even a bit of "you should be driving at a speed whereby you can stop safely for such occurrences". :popcorn:

* To be fair, most have abandoned this forum to take up NACA full time. And wouldn't know their back light from their handlebar anyway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I always consider it to be my responsibilty to keep safe and not rely on the drivers coming up behind me. If you have 2 or 3 cars coming up in a row behind you. The front car may see you if you are almost blacked out. But the other cars may not see you. Yes I know about safe gaps and all that. No use to me if I am under the wheels of the third car. I kick the arxe out of it and have as much light and reflective stuff as I can get on me. Some are more sensible and moderate but are easily seen. Then there are those that it is no great suprise if they are in an accident. We cannot put all the responsibility on car drivers. We have to take care of ourselves as sometimes you do not get the chance to complain about it.

Compared to some i see round here that guy (I presume - based on evidence - that it is a man) is pretty careful

I see some round here like that but riding in the middle of the WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD - and doing a wheelie at the same time

naturally the proper uniform - black hoodie - hood up of course, black jeans, black trainers, no lights , no appraent reflectors (although from the front you can't see them anyway!)

proper nutters - imagine doing that in a car - people would think your were crazy!!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Awaits the "cyclist's can do no wrong" brigade*, with "why didn"t you have your lights on full beam as there was nothing coming the other way? Then you would have seen the cyclist," and maybe even a bit of "you should be driving at a speed whereby you can stop safely for such occurrences". :popcorn:

* To be fair, most have abandoned this forum to take up NACA full time. And wouldn't know their back light from their handlebar anyway.

God it must be exhausting, fighting an imaginary enemy all the time.

It's perfectly possible to think that yes, the cyclist should be following the lighting regulations, but also that motorists should be driving at a safe speed that means they are able to avoid unexpected obstacles. These threads always seem to provoke responses detailing people's experiences with unlit cyclists at night which means that it's not exactly a rare occurrence and regardless of the rights and wrongs, it should not exactly come as a surprise.

I'm assuming that the cyclist is the sort of dark smudge to the left of the picture. It looks to me like they're riding well in the gutter so maybe they got caught out, are regretting having to ride in the dark like this and trying to stay out of the path of traffic as much as possible. Maybe a discussion to be had around infrastructure and motor vehicle dominance?

markemark

Über Member
Awaits the "cyclist's can do no wrong" brigade*, with "why didn"t you have your lights on full beam as there was nothing coming the other way? Then you would have seen the cyclist," and maybe even a bit of "you should be driving at a speed whereby you can stop safely for such occurrences".
Which of these can drivers be allowed to not do or forgiven if they don’t?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Where should a pedestrian walk if there is no footway? Why?
If there is no footway/pavement where should a pedestrian walk?
Day and dark, on the side of the road, facing the oncoming vehicle, except on a right hand bend when it's better to shift over to the left side (to see and be seen round the corner). Why not?
I'd also suggest (as others have implied) that if walking or running in the rural dark, some reflective clothing is well worth it. But, on foot, I run/walk assuming a car (which I'd hear before they (don't) see me), won't see me. Waving a hand is good, when a vehicle approaches from front or rear, and round blind bends: I sometimes carry a reflector in the palm of my hand for this.
On a bike riding facing the oncoming traffic is not acceptable, which makes the value of a cyclist's conspicuity more important.
Don't "get caught out and [don't] ride in the dark like this". If you feel there's no choice, when you hear a car behind, get off the road, unless you feel 'lucky'.
Do not behave like a victim. Do not be self-entitled. Recognise the hazard: mitigate the risk. Don't be a victim.

markemark

Über Member
Smash into an unlit tree. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit parked car. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit pedestrian. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit post. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit traffic cone. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit roadworks . Driver’s fault.

Smash into an unlit cyclist. Cyclist’s fault.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Smash into an unlit tree. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit parked car. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit pedestrian. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit post. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit traffic cone. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit roadworks . Driver’s fault.

Smash into an unlit cyclist. Cyclist’s fault.

Smash into an unlit tree.....
When was the last time you saw a tree growing on the carriageway? Highly unlikely, unless it was placed there by someone. In which case, the fault is with the person placing the tree in the roadway.

Smash into an unlit parked car.....
Depends on the circumstances, but if you leave a car parked in a dangerous position, lit or not, then you are going to be held at least partially to blame.

Smash into an unlit pedestrian.....
Again, depends on the circumstances, but if someone decides to place themselves in the middle of a dark country road, at night, dressed in dark clothing, then a court might have some sympathy for the driver. Not unreasonably IMHO..

Smash into an unlit post/traffic cone.....
WTF??

Smash into unlit roadworks......
Then the contractor responsible for the roadworks is going to find themselves with some serious questions to answer, re advance warning signs and lights if required.

Top Bottom