And the Darwin Award goes to……..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Can't believe the council have left it there.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can't believe the council have left it there.

Well quite, I think we all know they were stricken with a bad case of chainsaw fever a few years ago. I'll have to go and check if it's still there.

Jody

Stubborn git
Well quite, I think we all know they were stricken with a bad case of chainsaw fever a few years ago. I'll have to go and check if it's still there.

The people had a point though. Didn't see any issue with the ones trying to be saved from the chop.

Not sure I'd agree for the middle of a t junction.

Alex321

Veteran
Smash into an unlit tree. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit parked car. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit pedestrian. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit post. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit traffic cone. Driver’s fault.
Smash into an unlit roadworks . Driver’s fault.

Smash into an unlit cyclist. Cyclist’s fault.

No, it is still the driver's fault - mainly. It isn't as black and white as "cyclist's fault" or "driver's fault". In many accidents, more than one party is at fault, even if one is more at fault than another.

You aren't going to get an unlit tree or post in the road, so if a driver hits one of them, they have left the road, obviously their fault.

And cones, parked cars, roadworks will always have reflective parts making them stand out in headlights much more than a cyclist or pedestrian.

Pedestrians are also recommended to walk on the side facing traffic, partly so they can see oncoming traffic and partly so that they can be seen - flesh in the form of a human face is MUCH more visible than dark clothing and a hair covered head.

But for both pedestrians and cyclists, it really doesn't matter much whose fault it is if you are lying dead or seriously injured in the gutter. Just don't be present on unlit roads without something to make you more visible.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The people had a point though. Didn't see any issue with the ones trying to be saved from the chop.

Not sure I'd agree for the middle of a t junction.

Well, if it's not causing any difficulties...

TBF, it's in a built up area so lit by streetlights. I'm on my way home right now and the streets are absolutely littered with cars. Fair enough they have rear reflectors but they're not all parked with the flow of traffic and a large proportion are on the pavement as well.

If we're talking non built up areas without streetlights as in the OP, I've had to take evasive action due to fallen trees, rocks, sheep, none of which were illuminated. But I managed. And notice the cyclist in the picture? They're on the other side of the carriageway edge line. They're unlit but they're being cautious and a driver would have to be doing something pretty wrong in order to hit them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Awaits the "cyclist's can do no wrong" brigade*, with "why didn"t you have your lights on full beam as there was nothing coming the other way? Then you would have seen the cyclist," and maybe even a bit of "you should be driving at a speed whereby you can stop safely for such occurrences". :popcorn:

* To be fair, most have abandoned this forum to take up NACA full time. And wouldn't know their back light from their handlebar anyway.

3 hours, not a bad response time, given that your post was at 06:30 in the morning. IMHO of course ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Juliansou

Juliansou

Thank you for your comments and interesting discussion.
I think the point is this…..
We all have a responsibility to look after each other’s safety on the road; that responsibility is greater for drivers of certain vehicles. However, we also have a responsibility to look after our own safety and it seems to me that taking basic measures to be seen in the dark on an unlit road is not unreasonable.
I take the point about the road positioning of the cyclist (well over to the left) but as we all know when being close passed, an obstacle/pothole etc etc can easily throw you off course.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thank you for your comments and interesting discussion.
I think the point is this…..
We all have a responsibility to look after each other’s safety on the road; that responsibility is greater for drivers of certain vehicles. However, we also have a responsibility to look after our own safety and it seems to me that taking basic measures to be seen in the dark on an unlit road is not unreasonable.
I take the point about the road positioning of the cyclist (well over to the left) but as we all know when being close passed, an obstacle/pothole etc etc can easily throw you off course.

I don't think anybody's saying the behaviour of the cyclist is ideal. This is a great argument in favour of reflectors. Just leave them of the bike and even if you haven't got charged lights or reflective clothes, there's always something. Fit and forget, as it were. I love reflectors, me.

Top Bottom