And you thought motorists were inconsiderate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Don't insult Crankers, he'll only call you a :ohmy:
:wacko:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
As with the road, there are rules and an etiquette to using canals and rivers.
The thoughtless Gentleman in question simply paid no thought to his actions.

In years of living on boats you get to see this thought of thing more during the Summer season, mostly boats having gone up a lock then not shutting the gates at the top to make things quicker and easier for the following craft. :ohmy:

OP
OP
B

bigtrike

colregs, I think, ( please correct me if I am wrong) can give priority to a sailed dinghy over a supertanker, but like many HGV's they aint stopping for you cause they can't/wont or just plain can't see you!
I assumed he was a holiday maker killing time on the river partly because it was a small boat 25-30ft not a 50+ footer, hence the need to tell him why he should return the bridges.
That stretch of cannal is just far enough from Reading (a hire boat yard)for the novelty of moving bridges to wear off, so during the summer evey other week you can expect a crossing blocked:angry:.

Matthames

Über Member
bigtrike said:
colregs, I think, ( please correct me if I am wrong) can give priority to a sailed dinghy over a supertanker, but like many HGV's they aint stopping for you cause they can't/wont or just plain can't see you!

A supertanker would be classed as a vessel constrained by its draught and its ability to manoeuvre, so needs to stick to marked channels. Therefore, a supertanker would have priority over the sailing dinghy which can navigate safely outside of the channel.

OP
OP
B

bigtrike

Matthames said:
A supertanker would be classed as a vessel constrained by its draught and its ability to manoeuvre, so needs to stick to marked channels. Therefore, a supertanker would have priority over the sailing dinghy which can navigate safely outside of the channel.

Would this still apply in open ocean?

Matthames

Über Member
bigtrike said:
Would this still apply in open ocean?

In open water a super tanker would have to give way to a sailing dinghy, but I doubt very much that the look outs are going to expect a sailing dinghy offshore, let alone be able to spot one in enough time to take evasive action. The lookout however, would probably be expecting something more like a 30ft sailing yacht and would be basing any assumptions of scale on that.

Matthames said:
Boats are probably the worst for idiots. There is no licensing.... anybody can get a boat without having to take a test to see if they are competent enough to take the helm.

Ironic LOL...where have I heard a similar argument? :biggrin:

I think it depends on the particular waterway...when I had my little cruiser on the Driffield canal most boat owners there were very much into the canal restoration and very aware of rules and ettiquette.

Given that weekends, the narrow canal was shared with the scow club which were really the "cyclists of the canal" (moving slowly taking up the whole canal zig zagging about without looking :biggrin:) ettiquette and consideration for others was essential. Anyone not behaving properly would have been ostracised by others there

Top Bottom