Android GPS app recomendations please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I've just brought Mrs Badger a new phone which means for the first time ever I have her hand me down Android smart phone ( rather than my usual thick phones) I've installed various apps but was wondering if anyone has any recommendations on an app to replace my dedicated GPS where toughness is not needed. I wish to be able to follow a predestined route/track, there is no need for maps and I have no data connection on the phone. Where I use it there would be no phone signal any way. Any ideas ?

Thanks all

jhawk

Veteran
MapMyRide is what I use. And although I like it, I've not tested the GPS before, as it drains the battery on my phone like there's no tomorrow.

There are many apps out there, shop around before you buy/install for free! :biggrin:

MayMy Ride, Strava, Endomondo are the three I used to use but to be able to follow a route I suspect you'd need a dedicated mapping app like TomTom.

You could of course use Google Maps, (free), but apps like that murder battery life IME, (I don't use airplane mode though)..

I'd stick with your dedicated GPS for following routes and use something like Strava to capture ride data.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I haven''t used my phone to follow a track although I have used my Nexus 7.

I use Endomondo for the reason as I get the kettle put on for me as they know when I'm arriving home....
There are many to choose from, I see a lot of Strava 'signatures' on the forum, me too but I'm kidding on..
I've an android phone and find the battery drain isn't that bad.

It is a minefield out there, why not give them a try and see what one you prefer.

albion

Guru
Just use Google maps and download the biggest areas possible.

Then make use of Google MyTracks. I often use it multi tasking alongside Endomondo with little change in battery life.

albion

Guru
And maybe make sure you have pre-selected the 'cycle layer' in maps.

Thinking, I'm not sure how its all pre done but it almost sounds the job.

stephenjubb

Über Member
I've tried 2 or 3 free gps apps for android. They were poor. I put street names in and they were just not there.

just done a tour of the lake district over christmas and I bought Tomtom for android. Really good product. Was able to put lat/lon co-ordincates of campsites in and it took me straight there via a bicycle route.

Really paid for itself at £30, saved me so much hassle. has points of interest as well.

Even better with the android I was able to stick it in my map holder, and even with gloves on, in the dark and raining was able to operate it and navigate it. You do need a big screen however!

stephenjubb

Über Member
forogt to mention, all maps are stored on phone so need for internet connection.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
This sounds like a bit of a minefield, I've had a play at geocaching using the phone by storing the geocache then just using the GPS with no data connection which worked fine. Does Google maps do OS grade maps ? As most of the cycling/trekking I do needs this sort of map, I prefer to have a route to follow with no back ground map. What I normally do is plan the route using bikehike using there OS type map online then then just save it to my GPS as a route with no maps I find this much easier to follow for off road motorbiking/cycling or walking.The areas I travel in have no phone signal so anything that needs a data connection would not work. I think I may just stick to the dedicated Trekking GPS!

ActiveCampers

I've just downloaded, free, MapsWithMe - which uses OpenStreetMap and you pre-download very very detailed maps. There is a paid version £3 or so which allows search.
This is just for detailed map and GPS - it does not do routes.

oilburner

If you want something slightly slightly different you could try Back Country Navigator - you don't need to be in the Back Country but it works well if you are. Maps are stored on the phone so you don't need a data connection. There's a free try before you buy....

andym

Über Member
It all depends on what you want: different apps do different things. If you want offline then check out OruxMaps, OSMand Viewranger or MemoryMap. If OS mapping is important to you then maybe the field narrows to Viewranger or MemoryMap. All of these apps are free so there's nothing to stop you downloading them and seeing which you like the best.

SFAIK google don't do maps with contour lines* - if that's what you mean by OS-grade. You can get OSM maps with contour lines - the cartography won't be as good as OS but they are free and definitely very useful.

PS IME it's worth getting familiar with killing and shutting down Android Apps - you can find that apps are running the gps in the background - and killing the battery - when you think you have shut them down.

*EDIT: google maps does have its terrain view which shows contour lines when you zoom in close.

Last edited:

ActiveCampers

Update....

I've just installed OSMAnd for free which allows 10 "tiles" to be downloaded. Full version £6.

There is a contour plug in.

I've just got it working, fully off line, with a 1400km GPX route which is viewable offline and routable (if under 200km segments) - and eventually got my own POIs uploaded in addition to the searchable ones on the map anyway.

This is now my top pick

andym

Über Member
I think I may just stick to the dedicated Trekking GPS!

There's a lot to be said for that. After all - it's waterproof; battery life probably better than a smartphone, maps and POs easy to install and you can carry a huge amount of them.

OK, on the other side of the argument, a smartphone does lots of other things as well as being a GPS.

If you haven't already got a gps and you only need one for (say) four weeks a year then there's a good case for using a smartphone.

Top Bottom