Android phone on the cheap - its for work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Late September 2013 and I got this one 2015. It's been overheating since 2017 or 2018. Three years. My androids have never overheated even when 6 plus years of heavy use. I've had a few people replacing early as in 12 or 18 months instead of 24 months because of overheating. That's with a top end iPhone not the 5s "budget" iPhone version.

Director and apple fanbois bought an inadequate for work use. Apps like iAuditor started on ios but moved to android as well. Always worked better on my android tablet despite being a cheap Samsung and not apple ipad got twice as much.

Director apple fanbois every admits that when he tried android he thought it had overtaken apple. Just that he's committed to apple so won't change now. Work stuff is all non apple but for phones.
That's interesting. Maybe you had a faulty battery.

Android does have its advantages but iOS is a much slicker and easier to use system. To give one example if I want to look at my passwords in Android I have to go into settings and go through 3 sub-menus to get there. In iOS just go to settings, scroll down and there it is.

iOs has been designed with tablets in mind but Android works best on phones which is what it's intended for, some apps may not work correctly on a tablet. That's why there are so few Android tablets.
The experience on my iPad is such a slick smooth experience. My Poco X3 gives a reasonable performance and is quite usable.
My main beef with Apple are their prices and what they give you but the functionality is undisputable.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That's exactly the point I was trying to make upthread. I paid £12 for my secondhand Ixus in Computer Exchange three years ago. It normally lives either in my handbag or in the bar bag on whatever bike I happen to be puttering around on.

I still carry a camera around, as it’s something I don’t have to worry about dropping etc.

iOs has been designed with tablets in mind but Android works best on phones which is what it's intended for, some apps may not work correctly on a tablet. That's why there are so few Android tablets.
So few android tablets?
You sure of that Mr ops?
Android tablets also pair very well with a Chromebook.

Alex321

Veteran
That's interesting. Maybe you had a faulty battery.

Android does have its advantages but iOS is a much slicker and easier to use system. To give one example if I want to look at my passwords in Android I have to go into settings and go through 3 sub-menus to get there. In iOS just go to settings, scroll down and there it is.

There are a lot more Android tablets than there are iPads.

For 2021, Apple have 55% of the worldwide market by value, but only 34.6% of the market by volume.

So there are nearly twice as many Android tablets sold as iPads.

The experience on my iPad is such a slick smooth experience. My Poco X3 gives a reasonable performance and is quite usable.
My main beef with Apple are their prices and what they give you but the functionality is undisputable.
Thhe functionality isn't all that different. IPads are certainly at the high end, so the equivalent of other major vendors flagship models, but they are also more expensive than the other flagship models.

There is no dispute that Apple stuff isd quality, but IMO it is all overpriced. You are paying a significant premium for style.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think most Android tablets are bought on their low price, and of course for kids. Don't forget all those Amazon tablets too.
Apple is overpriced but the actual user experience is far better than Android, based on my experience.

Alex321

Veteran
I think most Android tablets are bought on their low price, and of course for kids. Don't forget all those Amazon tablets too.

A heck of a lot are, I'm sure. And Amazon is a subset of Android under the skin.

Apple is overpriced but the actual user experience is far better than Android, based on my experience.

"Better" is subjective.

I know there are a lot of people who prefer Apple. I suspect some of them have persuaded themselves it is "better" in order not to feel bad about having paid so much more. Note, I am not suggesting you are likely to be among those.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
…and cost 20 times as much as a compact with equivalent quality.
But you can't call, text, email, search the Internet, have a set navigation and take photos on an ixus compact camera so you have to pay up to 20 times at much plus the cost of a camera. Or get a cheap android phone, cheapest new that's worth getting is £79, then £119 for the cheapest ixus at curry's. £189 for a xiaomi redmi note 10 Pro direct from xiaomi UK. 108mp that's got a cmos sensor similar size to the ixus. Certainly good enough for my needs.

One decent performing phone or cheap and struggling phone plus separate camera you have to fill your pockets up with. It's a choice for sure but the better phone option without camera makes more sense to me so that'll be my choice and that of the boss, who's paying for it.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
So few android tablets?
You sure of that Mr ops?
Android tablets also pair very well with a Chromebook.
Market share by manufacturer 2011 to 2021 Q3

34.6% apple and the rest are android. That's worldwide sales which I reckon is skewed a bit by American obsession with apple. UK only or Asia it'll be android more strongly I reckon.

I've read comparisons between apple and android based products before by tech experts and journalists who have said apple once had the best user experience but is now playing catchup. Decade or more ago android had a special project team working under the codename project buttery. The whole purpose was to catch up with apple. Fast forward to more recent times and apple fanbois journos were hailing features in the latest iPhone and ios that had actually been in top end android phones two or more years earlier. Who knows which is best I only know that all apple products I've used didn't impress and I'm glad I own android.

PS android optimises apps and games for tablets too. So it's false to say it's a weakness with android. Plus Google play has more apps than apple as well as more users globally for android or.

Then there's the deliberate slow down of our of contract iPhone. Or the absolutely rubbish cables that fail far to quickly. It's certainly very common to see reinforcement electrical tape on apple cables at work. Some colleagues have complained to apple several times and every complaint sees apple sending them a new cable and charger. Every time! Even they know they're rubbish so replace without quibble!

Each to their own of course.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
One more point on this. This phone is quite work phone that needs to be new, from a reasonable source such as curry's, John Lewis or direct. No used phones or refurbished. It's got to be a phone not a phone plus camera or anything else. One device for calls, texts, emails, camera, plus other apps like browser, calculator, etc. It has to get past the boss for these uses and no more than £200 I think, might get more budget but might not.

Above all no apple products. Not got the budget for new iPhone and the apple fanbois boss actually told me they're not that good anymore so stick to android.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Apart from being a tightwad your boss it also telling you porkies about iPhones.
I tend to agree with him. They've lost their way IMHO. But of course they will always have their devotees who won't accept that there's better android phones around.

alicat

Legendary Member
If you are limited to the mainstream retailers then go to their websites and set the filters for cost etc. If nothing comes up then you have the ammo to tell your boss the budget is unrealistic.

Top Bottom