Andy's Modelmaking Misadventures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biketrailerguy

Thanks for the thoughts, unfortunately these days postage and possible customs costs would be potentially expensive

No probs - just thought it might be useful and always nice to see (supposedly scrap) resources going to a good home.
Valid points re postage etc - but I wasn't considering half a ton of the stuff :smile:
If you're not familiar with the material - and you did want to try it - I'd suggest visiting local printers to check what they do with offcuts / scrap / out of date (re the photo resist) - and try and scrounge some.
If so, take samples of your work - it invariably helps imo.

2024_02_18_stacked_boxes.jpg

I sometimes wonder why I’m like this. Most Tabletop gamers, the sort with things like a social life, create scenarios in a couple of minutes based on a cursed temple, a mad scientist creating giant spiders, or a zombie army out for revenge, and have at it. My scenario is based around the Imperial Preference trade treaties of the 1930’s. I wish I was making that up but I’m not.

Don’t panic; I’m not going into too much detail. In the real world, Britain got into a bit of a spat with Argentina over trade, it was quickly resolved and everyone moved on with their lives.

In my world, this escalated into a trade war between much of South America and Europe, which bunged up trade, which cost money. This made some rich people upset, so a number of “free ports” were set up which could trade with both sides so they technically could get around the problem, without the politicians looking weak.

Ascension was one of these ports, which made it the place to be for traders, smugglers, et c, which gives me lots of possible stories, but also means I have to make “cargo” to fit them. Hence the big piles of boxes; to represent goods/contraband being transported/traded/smuggled/stolen/pirated.

As part of the games of course, various characters will in their turn attempt to steal/trade/blow up said boxes, use them as a hiding place, or possibly all of the above…

View attachment 723897

I sometimes wonder why I’m like this. Most Tabletop gamers, the sort with things like a social life, create scenarios in a couple of minutes based on a cursed temple, a mad scientist creating giant spiders, or a zombie army out for revenge, and have at it. My scenario is based around the Imperial Preference trade treaties of the 1930’s. I wish I was making that up but I’m not.

Don’t panic; I’m not going into too much detail. In the real world, Britain got into a bit of a spat with Argentina over trade, it was quickly resolved and everyone moved on with their lives.

In my world, this escalated into a trade war between much of South America and Europe, which bunged up trade, which cost money. This made some rich people upset, so a number of “free ports” were set up which could trade with both sides so they technically could get around the problem, without the politicians looking weak.

Ascension was one of these ports, which made it the place to be for traders, smugglers, et c, which gives me lots of possible stories, but also means I have to make “cargo” to fit them. Hence the big piles of boxes; to represent goods/contraband being transported/traded/smuggled/stolen/pirated.

As part of the games of course, various characters will in their turn attempt to steal/trade/blow up said boxes, use them as a hiding place, or possibly all of the above…

Ah, a bit like Babylon 5 in the middle of the South Atlantic... ;)

More like a grubby smudge of smoke with a strong smell of manure, but from small acorns do mighty oaks grow...

I'm sure you're recognised the local version of "Night Watch" by now.

And I'm assuming you've got a "Sergeant Allen" lurking in there somewhere ;)

And I'm assuming you've got a "Sergeant Allen" lurking in there somewhere ;)

Ironically one of the "Auxilliary Police" league is a "Commandant Allen", Seen here alongside a truck escaping with the loot.

2023_02_01_Secret_chemicals_11.jpg

I'm useless at coming up with names so I tend to name my characters after historical people, and Allen is based on Mary Sophia Allen (12 March 1878 – 16 December 1964) who started out a Suffragette and ended up meeting Hitler and a member of the British Union of Fascists with close ties to Oswald Moseley.

Last edited:
Ascension 1938; the tiny 9 1/2 mile (13,7km) long island in the mid-Atlantic has become a centre of international trade and a stopover for airships carrying the rich and famous, the unscrupulous and the downright criminal.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_02.jpg

Amongst the latter are the oddly named 40 Elephants Gang, a largely female gang of thieves who started shoplifting in fashionable parts of London, but are branching out into other areas. They have been contracted to steal a package allegedly containing a mysterious “Jewelled Tome” being kept in the Montaro Warehouse and due for transport today.

Captain Bryant of the Royal Naval Air Service police, which is the only police force on the Island, has been tipped off and his small squad are rushing to stop the heist…

The 40 Elephants have moved in just as the Jewelled Tome was loaded into the van. The crew have escaped and had the presence of mind to lock the door on the way.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_03.jpg

Getting into the van takes some time. Above Jim Bullock, the Leaders Sidekick and the main muscle, is trying to smash a window on the left, while Shirlie Pitts is using her cunning to pick the lock.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_07.jpg

Meanwhile gang leader Alice Diamond (L) and follower Florrie Holmes (R) use their combined finesse to remove a fuse from a power switch, so no-one can raise the alarm…

2023_12_04_40e_jt_09.jpg

Fortunately Capt. Bryant and the RNAS police are already near the scene. Bryant and Lt. Cain get into the car while Sgt Williams and Sgt. Coulson scout out the alleyways.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_12.jpg

Immediately Williams spots “Matron Fox” of the Auxiliary police, and a local character known as “Lev the Anarchist”, lurking around several crates marked “Explosives”. He moves in to investigate and Fox, unwisely under the circumstances, takes a shot at him while hiding behind the crates. His returning shot predictably hits the boxes of TNT which go bang, whereupon she loses any further interest in the affair. ‘Lev’, is unscathed, apparently immune to explosives.

Meanwhile, Capt. Bryant and Lt. Cain are racing through the narrow streets in the police car.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_15.jpg

2023_12_04_40e_jt_19.jpg

Fortunately for the Police, Shirlie and Jim appear to be working at cross purposes. As Shirlie later explained “I woz tryin’ to open the door, and every time oi got moi skeleton key in der lock, Jim would ‘it the van on the ovver side so it’d fell out again, and then I’d try again and ee’d ‘it it again.” Eventually however Jim “Jemmied it good” allowing them both access to the vehicle.
They roared out of the yard, and…

2023_12_04_40e_jt_21.jpg

2023_12_04_40e_jt_18.jpg

Meanwhile, it turns out the explosives were a consignment the Auxiliaries were intending to sell to the 40E Gang, presumably to open the van later. Diamond and Holmes approached but hearing gunshots narrowly avoided a confrontation.
The van itself, driven by Jim, is trying to escape the police. Jim turns wildly down an alleyway…

2023_12_04_40e_jt_22.jpg

…with the police in hot pursuit. The other member of the 40e Gang, Mary Carr, can be seen in the distance, Not to be outdone she fires a volley at the police car but fails to cause serious damage.

53393894549_634168218c.jpg

However, all is not well for Jim in the van. in turning down the alley he hits an oil slick and loses control; the van careens forward, smashes into a wall, narrowly missing Diamond, and slams into the building opposite. Being a security van this doesn’t do a lot of damage, but it does stop them.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_26.jpg

The police are in a difficult position now; if they go forward they risk hitting the same oil slick and crashing themselves. Bryant opts to block the escape and let the rest of the squad move in.

Williams gets to the van first but is foiled by Diamond. He’s focused on Jim Bullock in the van, makes the mistake of ignoring the petite blonde and regrets it when bullets start zinging around his helmet.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_27.jpg

While Diamond distracts Williams, Bullock has managed to reverse the van, The road behind is blocked but he manages to change gear and races off up the road; the chase is on; again.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_28.jpg

Jim Bullock and Shirlie Pitts race off in the truck, with the “Jewelled Tome” still in the back. Bryant sets off in Pursuit, passing the random peril for the control check and incidentally somehow passing Alice Diamond unscathed, despite her firing a full revolver at him from point blank range.

2023_12_04_40e_jt_30.jpg

As this was turn 6 the 40 Elephants had “Won,” making this a successful début on the island, but the RNAS police won’t be far behind; they can’t be on an Island less than ten miles long…

2023_12_04_40e_jt_25.jpg

While all this was happening, Florrie Holmes had slipped off to a quieter corner, and found a box of what looks suspiciously like hooch, which she then purloined on General principles. As Ascension has become a regular dropping off point for Mafia deliveries of booze to the US, this may come back to bite her at a later date…

A few more details:

2024_03_12_signs.jpg

I've always liked old style British signs, and a certain amount of on-line searching revealed a catalogue of old designs as a PDF that could be cut and pasted and printed out on paper. That’s me using technology, that is.

After that it was back to the usual. The printouts were mounted on thin card and the edges hidden using marker pens, which worked pretty well; I’ll have to remember that. The poles were wooden dowels, while the bases are card on steel washers to avoid Horizontal Sign Syndrome.

The red parts should really be a hollow frame but I think some artistic licence can be allowed…

Top Bottom