Angled trike wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Looking at the pic below in this article, I noticed that the wheels on the trike are canted in towards the upper torso of the rider, the same goes for some wheelchairs, usually the sportier types.

Does anyone know why they do this? Increased stability but smaller chassis by keeping the axles closer together? Does it affect tyre performance?

One for the trike-experts I think!

_48063993_rachelmorris3.jpg

It improves the handling, I know that. Someone who knows more about camber angles and the theory behind them will be along in a minute. But here's something to be going on with.

jimboalee

"for maximum straight-line acceleration, the greatest traction will be attained when the camber angle is zero and the tread is flat on the road."

You won't see camber angles on the drag strip.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUb8P3aDD5o

When the vehicle corners, the resultant vector angle of tire forces is straight up the center line of the tire and wheel mating. Without Camber, the tire will want to roll off the rim on a severe corner.

zoxed

Über Member
eldudino said:
... wheels on the trike are canted in towards the upper torso of the rider

- Reduces the lateral load on the wheel (esp. spokes) and the tyre.
- If the wheel is vertical then the hubs form the widest point, so you can move the bottom of the tyre outwards a certain amount without increasing the trike's *overall* width, and thus stability is improved.

Top Bottom