Animals that prey on humans.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's a deep primeval human fear.

For the last year my wife has been enviously reading the glowing reports emailed back by a friend who emigrated to Australia, complete with pictures of the kids frolicking in the surf, which has been a source of slight irritation to me. I always had a feeling that the family were trying to convince themselves as well as their friends that they had done the right thing. Suddenly the reports dried up then it emerged that someone they knew had been scoffed by a shark! The family have now returned to Britain where life may be dull but at least there’s not much that can eat you! It may rain a bit but at least you can go for a swim or a walk in the country and not worry about being eaten, bitten, stung or poisoned.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
...and tasty they were too. :biggrin:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, if you look at the predators we have here in the UK, the biggest is probably a badger. Then a fox, then after that you're down to hedgehogs...

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
In response to the OP though, sharks don't actually 'prey' on humans. We are in their domain and, as such, an addition to the food chain of which they are part of... if we didn't swim in the ocean they wouldn't come onto land to hunt us, would they??? :biggrin:

Added to this, there are about 400+ species of shark, and of these only about 10 which could really be classed as any danger to humans... not really a high-risk-to-humans animal!!

bonj2

Rigid Raider said:

For the last year my wife has been enviously reading the glowing reports emailed back by a friend who emigrated to Australia, complete with pictures of the kids frolicking in the surf, which has been a source of slight irritation to me. I always had a feeling that the family were trying to convince themselves as well as their friends that they had done the right thing. Suddenly the reports dried up then it emerged that someone they knew had been scoffed by a shark! The family have now returned to Britain where life may be dull but at least there’s not much that can eat you! It may rain a bit but at least you can go for a swim or a walk in the country and not worry about being eaten, bitten, stung or poisoned.

Other disadvantage of australia is it gets VERY hot - you know why ayup lights were designed in australia? 'cos people from lancashire who were into MTBing emigrated there and started going MTBing at night 'cos it's no fun in the 35 degree heat of the day.

simonali

Guru
Why did they not try NZ first? Not so many snakes and spiders there and the sea is terribly easy to avoid when you think about it!

redjedi

Über Member
Rigid Raider said:

Did they really come back to the UK because there are sharks they may attack you?

People get killed every week in road accidents, will they be avoiding the roads completely when they get back?

Perhaps they could move to the Saraha desert, where there is very little life of any sort to endanger them....but then there is the danger of heat stroke :biggrin:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think the shark thing was just the turning point. Having lived abroad for over 4 years of my life I understand that there are people who can leave their own culture and live away quite happily and others who can't. Personally I like British things like beer and old houses and music too much; I missed my own culture even when I lived in Paris.

This family came back to visit the parents, saw a house they liked in The Lakes and decided to buy it. Moving halfway round the world twice must be expensive though.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
You take your chances wherever you live, be it next to a shark infested pacific ocean or next to the A66.

I'm more afraid of the Greater Spotted Chav than sharks and spiders!

Top Bottom