Annoying and Dangerous Cycle Path

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taxing

Coming up to a narrow bridge in Hull there's a cycle lane that changes into a pavement cycle path, which lasts for about 3 metres before the dreaded 'cyclists dismount' sign. Cyclists are then supposed to walk around an obstacle, get back on and ride across the bridge, then get back onto the road at a busy point just before a junction.

I've got some links from Google Maps to show anyone who's interested in the specifics:
Beginning: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=CErNVkGUpn6wEbirbzoMpw&cbp=12,60.71,,0,19.62

Part where you rejoin traffic and have to get across those three lanes of traffic in a bloody hurry if you want to turn right: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...=a4HV1qIbLHXUqys1AQ8A1Q&cbp=12,60.71,,0,19.62

On my first way down this road, being a cautious newbie, I did as instructed. Then I got mad. I'm not standing for that, I thought to myself, so since then I've stayed on the road, on the left lane in primary position. No one has honked so far, and I haven't had to wait at the end of the cycle path for a Good Samaritan to let me out, because I'm already on the road anyway.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the point of this is? Surely we can't be inconveniencing drivers that much when there are two lanes going both ways.

Somebody covering their ass. In the rare event that something happened the can say they've provided a farcility. As you've found out its often better and safer not to use them.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Send it in to the Warrington Cycle Campaign if you take a photo.

They are still putting in bad new cycle farcilities here, in 2009 they put in one that's really quite dangerous here.

I disagree about it being a narrow bridge though. Looks all right to me.

OP
OP
T

taxing

The lanes are narrow is what I meant, the pavement gets a bit wider and you can really feel it when you're actually biking down it.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Two lanes on a bridge is fairly rare. Of course they are narrow that is the nature of the beast and that sort of thing is quite threatening for pedestrians and cyclists. Funnily enough though I noticed that the next bridge down went for almost the opposite approach with solid white line cycle lane and 1 motorised traffic lane (that is wider)!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The only time i use a cycle path is when riding up the A 38 as i do not fancy mixing it with artics etc doing full speed, and i think that part i use is an m class as i have seen no-cyclist signs.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=ut...noid=N1HyGl3FvKV49F9BxKF0BA&cbp=12,54.41,,0,5

This one through Burton upon trent is a laugh, gets the cyclist to jump off the pavement into the traffic, further up is a small shop where people ,including police park on the cycle path,solid white line as well
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wet...oid=YrOejcABRBNrDS0pc-YzAg&cbp=12,165.86,,0,5

dondare

Über Member
The whole idea of separate paths for cyclists is deeply flawed.

Fully segregated tracks for motor vehicles would be far more sensible. (They could be called railways.)

Number14

Veteran
dondare said:
The whole idea of separate paths for cyclists is deeply flawed.

Fully segregated tracks for motor vehicles would be far more sensible. (They could be called railways.)

Is that why a lot of drivers stay in the centre lane of the motorway for the whole length of their journey - because they're training to be a train driver and don't have the ability to steer their vehicle?

dondare

Über Member
Number14 said:
Is that why a lot of drivers stay in the centre lane of the motorway for the whole length of their journey - because they're training to be a train driver and don't have the ability to steer their vehicle?

People use Motorways like they're big Scaletrix sets.

marinyork said:
Two lanes on a bridge is fairly rare.

Not in Hull....

When I lived there (taxing is really intent on posting my stomping grounds, first the roundabout near my granny's, now a bridge that I used to cross regularly not too far from where I grew up) I don't recall there ever being a cycle lane there and If I were heading off to a friend's over East Park way then I used to do the same as suggested..take primary in the left lane past Wincolmlee over the bridge then signal and move into the other lane just before the immediate left into Lime St.

Top Bottom