Annoying little things that happen on a ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need to ask, when a chain slips in certain gears, how do we establish whether it is the chain, chain ring or cassette that is at fault?

In my case I knew the chain was badly worn simply because it had been used for several thousand kilometres in all weathers, so when I got the "Bag of gravel" sensation in several gears I could guess what it was.

I also had the same problem on some "recycled" bikes in the last couple of weeks, and got a lot of information from helpful people here. There's a thread on worn chains and cassettes/blocks and worn chains and chain wheels in the repairs section; they give details of what to look for and how to interpret the signs.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Commuting home the other night up the B2B Railway Path, just getting to Easton & thought 'Its a pleasant commute today' when the old familiar sound of angry- wasp-in-tin-can got closer & then two laughing idiots joyriding a moped entered the path at the Russel Town Avenue part, rode up to Easton community centre (no crash hats either) weaving in & out of everyone & shot off down into Easton. That reminds me - must report that burnt-out moped under the Lodge Causeway bridge:blush:.

Alex321

Veteran
Commuting home the other night up the B2B Railway Path, just getting to Easton & thought 'Its a pleasant commute today' when the old familiar sound of angry- wasp-in-tin-can got closer & then two laughing idiots joyriding a moped entered the path at the Russel Town Avenue part, rode up to Easton community centre (no crash hats either) weaving in & out of everyone & shot off down into Easton. That reminds me - must report that burnt-out moped under the Lodge Causeway bridge:blush:.

Don't suppose you got any video showing number plates?

Worth reporting if you did.

captain nemo1701

Don't suppose you got any video showing number plates?

Worth reporting if you did.

Sadly no but after 2 years of not commuting, I've seen stuff that's too quick to get the old phone out so yes, looking at new helmet cam. A quick touch of a button is needed to get things quickly recorded.

Alex321

Veteran
Sadly no but after 2 years of not commuting, I've seen stuff that's too quick to get the old phone out so yes, looking at new helmet cam. A quick touch of a button is needed to get things quickly recorded.

I have a GoPro (pretty old, was given it for my birthday 10-12 years ago), which I normally have mounted to the handlebars, and that was where the footage came from with today's incident .

captain nemo1701

I have a GoPro (pretty old, was given it for my birthday 10-12 years ago), which I normally have mounted to the handlebars, and that was where the footage came from with today's incident .

I used to have a Contour HD but the tiny plastic switch in the rear under the rubber flap to turn the power on broke off. Being recessed, it was impossible to turn back on without fingers like a barbie doll. Design flaw:sad:.

Top Bottom