Annoying locks at shops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noodle

simple click the gears to the opposite ends
unclip your brakes
flip it upside down
unless your doing a big weekly shop just the simple fact its upside down means it takes that bit longer to nick maybe not as much as a lock would but... needs must

oh just remember to clip the brakes back up i speak from experience on that

BigAl68

Über Member
I did push my bike around sainsburys the other week. I got some funny looks but the staff were cool about it.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Actually I didn't think of it when I was filling in the survey but having decent stands to lock things to would be more appreciated by me. Yesterday it was a trip to the sports centre where they just have two rows of wheel benders. I locked it up sideways on, which blocked about 4 of the wheel benders.

I think the forum is being too hard on him. I filled in the survey. There is an issue with cycling to the shops and having to carry a decent lock. A shop (or coffee stop, for that matter) that provided a lock or locking mechanism, might be on to something, as long as I trusted the shop and the lock.

But what?

Fareham spent a fortune on nice specially designed ranks of cycle stands that will not accept a bicycle with a rack!

There are also cases where front wheel locking systems have been used that were coin operated (Chichester) that would not take anything with a front rack, wide tyres or with non standard wheels

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Actually I didn't think of it when I was filling in the survey but having decent stands to lock things to would be more appreciated by me. Yesterday it was a trip to the sports centre where they just have two rows of wheel benders. I locked it up sideways on, which blocked about 4 of the wheel benders.
This. My Orbea has a cafe lock but never, never gets left unattended in town. The other two bikes have proper locks but that's not much good if there's nowhere to lock them up!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There is always somewhere to lock the bike up.... in just takes a little ingenuity sometimes
I usually find something, but it's often railings, then I always worry that I drop either the key or the other half of the lock into no mans land and have to struggle to retrieve them.

I usually find something, but it's often railings, then I always worry that I drop either the key or the other half of the lock into no mans land and have to struggle to retrieve them.

When you have a dodgy hip, picking up items can be difficult...
THis addition to the tool kit solves the issues

31jJE8uMlCL.jpg

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
When you have a dodgy hip, picking up items can be difficult...
THis addition to the tool kit solves the issues

31jJE8uMlCL.jpg
At first I thought it was to hit people who might be trying to steal your bike :whistle:, but I think it would fail to pick up the either end of my D-lock if I lost them through the railings. So far I think it has only been a set of keys that I was able to reach through the railings at the location to retrieve in the dark!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just an untested thought - QRs on brakes, why not adjust them so that when they are on the brakes are actually on, so you have to release them for the brakes to be in a normal position. Would make taking a wheel out when you needed to a bit more difficult but it might confuse the opportunist thief????

Just an untested thought - QRs on brakes, why not adjust them so that when they are on the brakes are actually on, so you have to release them for the brakes to be in a normal position. Would make taking a wheel out when you needed to a bit more difficult but it might confuse the opportunist thief????
we use this approach on our touring bikes when we are 'with them' but not alongside them. It confuses people no end. We actually had a friend resort to lifting the bikes up and carrying them into her garage when she could not get them to move (panniers were at this time in the room)... she hadn't realised that we had elastics on both brakes holding the brakes on!

Top Bottom