Another 'am I being scammed' thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A bloke I know from my local pub contacted me last night on Facebook messenger, asking how I was. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't say we are that friendly, he's just someone I know from the pub. Anyway, after a few "Not bad, how are you" kind of comments he then said "Good to hear from you, Anyway I'm doing pretty good and so happy now because my life has really changed for better and im not sure if you've heard about the recent good news yet??. When I asked what the news was he said Could you believe I won a lottery of £150,000 from the Bill and Melinda Gates Grant lottery foundations(BMG). I wished him well, then he replied Thanks......Bill Foundation is the largest private foundation in the world,founded by Bill and Melinda Gates.They give out money to help retired, deafs,students,and all citizens.Did you get yours. This was followed by Oh many people have heard about this, some got £500,000 delivered to their doorstep. I think you should apply for the benefit like I did, do you know how to do that"?

After telling him I don't gamble he replied......

Facebook link deleted.

"Just click on the link and message the claiming agent in charge tell her a beneficiary told you about the program and you want to apply for the Benefit"

Then after an hour or so he posted......

"You are to click on the space (SEND MESSAGE) and message them straight away, followed an hour or so later by "Any good news from the agent?"

Why would someone who says they've won £150,000 contact someone they haven't messaged before and tell them how to 'win money'?! I haven't replied to his last post. He's a heavy drinker, if that shines any light on this. Why would Bill Gates of all people give money away??! What am I missing here?🤔

Last edited:

irw

Quadricyclist
Sounds like your pals account has been compromised. You should let him know when you see him.

He hasn't won £150,000 then?🤔

It isn’t him. They got his account and reaching out to all his contacts. FB has long lost support from the newer generation as it is basically an open front door to be “burgled”. Only the older generation are into it because of community and long established use and they cannot get out. I am sure you seen people posting personal stuff about themselves and their friends With photos. Same people will get upset if you asked them where they went for a holiday when neighbours noticed their absence.

Valuable for business though especially small traders, mom and pop establishments who do not have to run their own website or maintain anything. Puts your business presence and profile online.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Defo a scam Accy.

Svendo

Guru
Have a look here, consider reporting to FB and BG. I see on the list of things BG don’t do is “
  • Approach individuals in person offering grant opportunities”

Top Bottom