Another barn find

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Any idea of vintage? I'd also like to know of it's worth anything, but I realise that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay!
Somebody who deals in vintage Raleighs reckons that a roadster in good original condition is worth about £150, though I reckon it's nearer £125. Yours is probably worth about half that.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks interesting and I'm intrigued by the lock on the fork - presumably prevents the steering from operating and seems like a nice elegant solution for modern utility bikes..
It would seem to be but in Holland where these type of locks are still used thieves has come up with an equally elegant get around. They put a leash around their neck under a coat and attach it the bars to pull the wheel just clear of the ground and just wheel it away :sad:.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It looks in slightly better condition than the 1948 vintage Raleigh that I fixed up for my Aunt:

I made sure she knew from the start that the cost of the new parts it needed would be more than it would ever be worth but she still wanted to go ahead. For this project new wheels were the big expense (the rims were scrap). I wish it'd had cable brakes like the one in the OP - it would have been a lot easier as suitable rims are available with the 32/40 spoke drillings so could have been rebuilt: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-26-590/

I'm not near it at the moment. My BIL sent me the photos. I'll ask him to check for date. I'm now hoping the forks aren't locked as we've no chance of finding the key!
It is a single edged key. Key cutting and some small shoe repair shops have bunches of keys for unlocking things , they may have the right one for it .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@stalagmike there was one facebook market place in Rushden earlier at £200 which i thought was well over priced .

As for that one you found give it a wipe down with an oily rag , blow the tyres up and take it for a spin and use it to see what works and doesn't work .

They are great to ride and can be quite nimble as well

So yes get it

midlife

Guru
I sold bikes in the 70's with locks in the forks and they were still rolling off the production line lol

Top Bottom