Another bread (bread machine) question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I make brown bread and try various types of flour.
I get good results BUT with one slight question mark.
Everything goes well and with 30 minutes left the top is nice and rounded like it should be.
30 minutes later the 'top' has collapsed so that the 'top' is flat.
It doesn't affect the consistency and its enjoyable.......but I would like a nice rounded finish.
Any ideas ?
BTW
I have one on the go now and tried a little extra sugar and yeast.

Alex321

Veteran
I make brown bread and try various types of flour.
I get good results BUT with one slight question mark.
Everything goes well and with 30 minutes left the top is nice and rounded like it should be.
30 minutes later the 'top' has collapsed so that the 'top' is flat.
It doesn't affect the consistency and its enjoyable.......but I would like a nice rounded finish.
Any ideas ?
BTW
I have one on the go now and tried a little extra sugar and yeast.
I find that quite often happens if I use the "regular" yeast, while it happens much less often with the "easy bake" yeast.

Regular https://www.allinsonflour.co.uk/products/dried-active-yeast (orange band around tin)
Easy Bake https://www.allinsonflour.co.uk/products/easy-bake-yeast (green band around tin)

The regular yeast seems to be much more sensitive to the proportions of water to flour, and possibly the starting water temperature.

T4tomo

Guru
OK - so as i've posted on the other thread, mix it in the machine but turf it into a tin to 2nd prove and bake it in the oven

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
OK - so as i've posted on the other thread, mix it in the machine but turf it into a tin to 2nd prove and bake it in the oven
I hear you (as they say) and no doubt you are right......but I just want my machine bread to come out rounded.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
So......todays small brown (there is only me that eats bread).
1. I used a different yeast.
2. I added slightly more yeast and sugar.
A better looking result

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
A while back I found with my breadmaker that if I used a little too much yeast then the bread was more likely to rise and collapse, so I now stick to the exact amount and it’s much more reliable.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My thoughts too - over-proved. To make a loaf ‘quickly’ needs a fair amount of yeast which can gallop away but then exhaust the nutrients quickly, so timing is important. I now use low-yeast, long-prove methods for bread. It means planning ahead but means more flavour, better digestion and a robust structure. And timing is less critical.

Top Bottom