Another bread recipe question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Has anyone ever substituted ale for water in your bread mix.
Someone was telling me it adds to the flavour etc..
Not sure about that.......just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Some might substitute ale for bread :laugh:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
You can easily replace the liquid in most bread recipes with beer. This can have a very pronounced effect on your final dough as there is a lot more chemical and biological fun happening in beer than there is in water. In my experience, the dough with beer will usually rise faster than a similar dough with water.
From Goggle

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I have but to be honest I couldn't really tell or taste a difference unless a heavy type of stout was used. If you want a different taste, try adding a couple of spoons of black treacle.

Milk, on the other hand, makes a much lighter loaf (although I still can't taste any difference).

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Has anyone ever substituted ale for water in your bread mix.
Someone was telling me it adds to the flavour etc..
Not sure about that.......just wondering if anyone has tried it.
I have but to be honest I couldn't really tell or taste a difference unless a heavy type of stout was used. If you want a different taste, try adding a couple of spoons of black treacle.

Milk, on the other hand, makes a much lighter loaf (although I still can't taste any difference).

Yes I've done it with beer, but not for a while..and was with more classic ale which is sweeter.

Like TEC couldn't really tell much difference .

I'm wondering though, if with a really hoppy IPA type ale you might get a sort of 'fake sourdodgh' effect with the extra bitterness??

But Tbh I'd rather drink the ale alongside the bread rather than waste it, in it.

If you've got some stale* ale it would stop it being wasted I s'pose

I'm tempted to try stout in a dark rye though and see what that's like.

Have used molasses for initial yeast feed, that's nice too..

Hungry now..
Time for toast >>>>>

* unfinished beer - how did that happen ???:wacko:

winjim

Smash the cistern
From Goggle
I had a lot of chemical and biological fun back in my twenties. Not so much these days.

Top Bottom