Another broken spoke

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpembroke

After 4 years of reliable service my Campag Protons are beginning to let me down. I've now had 2 broken spokes on the drive side of the rear wheel this year. First was in France and caused a bit of a headache (middle of nowhere, baking hot day etc etc). Second was today in the Cotswolds (freezing cold and had to call up the support wagon (wife) to come and get me).

So, question is: have my wheels reached the end of their life or is it worth me continuing to repair them?

jimboalee

The problem with modern rear wheels is the amount of dish on the driveside.
The spokes are almost upright.

The tension forces will need to be greater to achieve lateral rigidity.

It's a problem that has to be lived with. Keep replacing spokes.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

jimboalee said:
The problem with modern rear wheels is the amount of dish on the driveside.
The spokes are almost upright.

The tension forces will need to be greater to achieve lateral rigidity.

It's a problem that has to be lived with. Keep replacing spokes.

Yes, they are under very high tension. Campag have attempted to reduce this by making asymmetric rims with offset spoke holes thus reducing the dish of the wheel. I guess it helps a bit but evidently it's not perfect. I'm now concerned that more spokes are going to go, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Also, spare spokes are a) not widely available and :biggrin: expensive. Looks like I may have to get some new wheels. It's a real shame because I really love these wheels.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

Unfortunately the drive side uses campag proprietary straight pull spokes. Non-drive side and front wheel uses normal spokes but - typically - it's not these that are breaking.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Where are they failing? Rim end or hub end?

If all in same location then likely to be fatigue in which case replacing all the drive side spokes in one hit is probably only answer. No reason why shouldnt get another few years out of it thereafter.

OP
OP
jpembroke

jpembroke

They're breaking at the hub end.

I was thinking the same thing - replacing all drive side spokes - but it'll be expensive. Get this: pack of 6 campag spokes (2 front, 2 non-drive side, 2 drive side) costs between £20 and £27 (depending on model). How can that be? Looks like the cost could be seriously prohibitive. Will have to make some calls tomorrow.

Top Bottom