Another close shave......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yikes, I had a similar one a few weeks back a black out 4x4 left hooked me nothing major but there was another cyclist in front !

Crankarm

Guru
Gulp ............. a little close. She was very nearly knocked down. How she wasn't I don't know. She strangely didn't even seem to react :tongue:? (sorry no sound).

But the girl never looked behind once in all the 32 seconds or so you were filming? Plus no helmet either. But of course this has nothing to do with the culpability of the car driver that nearly floored her. Just thinking though if she looks a round more as she cycles she might be a lot safer.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

HLaB said:
Yikes, I had a similar one a few weeks back a black out 4x4 left hooked me nothing major but there was another cyclist in front !

I was watching her...she seemed to look elsewhere for a second or two...

That is a nasty turn anyway...probably best time to be a bit further out.I see cars hooking into there quite a bit of the time.

I said something to her...glad you are ok and all that.She must have thought I was a right weirdo.:tongue:

Oh yeah I was using the handlebar mounted cam as the MUVI had played up at Waterloo and wasn't working...pleasantly surprised with the picture as it had a plastic bag thingy on it to protect it from rain.

Crankarm

Guru
hackbike 666 said:
I was watching her...she seemed to look elsewhere for a second or two...

That is a nasty turn anyway...probably best time to be a bit further out.

I said something to her...glad you are ok and all that.She must have thought I was a right weirdo.:biggrin:

No doubt more worried about a stranger speaking to her than the car that had almost taken her down :tongue:. But you were in the right place at the right time had she been knocked down to get the footage, a star witness ..... oh and help with first aid and ambulance etc should they have been needed.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Crankarm said:
No doubt more worried about a stranger speaking to her than the car that had almost taken her down :tongue:.

Possibly,but I would have helped if it had turned nasty obviously...

Also notice the motorbike rider....:biggrin:

Martok

Klingon on a bike
Just watched the video and to be honest I'd say the driver, the cyclist and the motorcyclist are all to blame here.

The driver is not in the best of road positions and has overtaken the cyclist at the lights instead of waiting as it's not that far afterwards that they turn left. They do at least put their indicator on if you look carefully.

The cyclist doesn't seem to be paying the attention to the road she should have, otherwise she'd have seen the car that had overtaken her indicating it was turning left and should have taken appropriate action so she didn't end up being nearly side swiped by the car.

The motorcyclist exacerbated things by overtaking the cyclist and then undertaking the car, so the car couldn't move in towards the turning any earlier due to this stupid manoeuvre.

Fortunately there was no accident here but things could have been a whole lot worse due to poor road behaviour from all three of them.

joebingo

Über Member
Wasn't expecting that when it came. What is it about gutter huggers which mean that they have incidents like these and don't bat an eyelid?

joebingo said:
Wasn't expecting that when it came. What is it about gutter huggers which mean that they have incidents like these and don't bat an eyelid?

Probably because they believe what car drivers say - and feel they have no right to be on the road (maybe because they drive often themselves).
It's the same kind of ignorance you get being a steering wheel anyway...

Martok said:
Just watched the video and to be honest I'd say the driver, the cyclist and the motorcyclist are all to blame here.

The driver is not in the best of road positions and has overtaken the cyclist at the lights instead of waiting as it's not that far afterwards that they turn left. They do at least put their indicator on if you look carefully.

The cyclist doesn't seem to be paying the attention to the road she should have, otherwise she'd have seen the car that had overtaken her indicating it was turning left and should have taken appropriate action so she didn't end up being nearly side swiped by the car.

The motorcyclist exacerbated things by overtaking the cyclist and then undertaking the car, so the car couldn't move in towards the turning any earlier due to this stupid manoeuvre.

Fortunately there was no accident here but things could have been a whole lot worse due to poor road behaviour from all three of them.

+1

I only just noticed the indicators (not that clear in the video) when someone else mentioned it... so I mentioned the overtake on the crossing/junction/lights.

Car - Ignorant (pushing past the cyclist at a junction)
Cyclist - Ignorant (get out of the gutter, specially at junctions)
Motorcyclist - Dickhead (squeezing past indicating traffic)

OP
OP
H

hackbike 666

Cyclist...inexperienced and seemed to lose concentration at a vital time...Im sure she looked away....Motorcyclist...Dodgy behaviour from him....Motorist...I almost expect that.

Motorist was indicating.I saw the move anyway and I know the road by cycling up and down it for twenty years so I know the behaviour.

You are right...she didn't seem to bat an eyelid.

Matty

Crankarm said:
Gulp ............. a little close. She was very nearly knocked down. How she wasn't I don't know. She strangely didn't even seem to react :laugh:? (sorry no sound).

But the girl never looked behind once in all the 32 seconds or so you were filming? Plus no helmet either. But of course this has nothing to do with the culpability of the car driver that nearly floored her. Just thinking though if she looks a round more as she cycles she might be a lot safer.

Whilst I agree with this, if she had looked round, she'd have most likely had the crash!

Camgreen

I assume Matty means if she'd glanced over her shoulder the split second before (assuming the action didn't reduce her speed of course) she would not have been in a position to react.

Top Bottom