Another cyclist down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Earlier this week a female cyclist died after a collision on Isle of Mull near Ulva Ferry. Information is very sparse but rumour has it she was struck by a trailer. Her male companion was also possibly struck. Everyone is very tight lipped about this and my info only comes from someone working nearby who did not witness the incident but was alerted by the noise of emergency vehicles and helicopter.

Drago

Legendary Member
R.i.p.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
There was a very brief report about this on the BBC news site but I can't find it now.

I recall it referred to a collision involving "a livestock trailer". I wonder if it was the classic overtake and cut back in, without taking account of the trailer being towed.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My sister was almost killed in that way in the Yorkshire Dales. She recovered but less than a year later developed MS and I often wonder if the trauma triggered the illness.

Baldy

Über Member
I was hit the same way about six years ago in Doller. Range rover towing a house box. The b****r just drove off.

Mo1959

Legendary Member

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
And this one too :https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-49809119

"A cyclist on an "unusual three-wheeler bike" has died in a crash with a lorry.
The collision, on the westbound carriageway of the A303 near Solstice Park Services, happened just after midday on Monday.
Wiltshire Police said the 71-year-old man died at the scene and the road was closed for five hours"

I don't think there's anything inherently unusual about a 3-wheeler, even if it's something like a recumbent.

Slick

Guru
Earlier this week a female cyclist died after a collision on Isle of Mull near Ulva Ferry. Information is very sparse but rumour has it she was struck by a trailer. Her male companion was also possibly struck. Everyone is very tight lipped about this and my info only comes from someone working nearby who did not witness the incident but was alerted by the noise of emergency vehicles and helicopter.
Thanks for the information, seems strange they are keeping it quiet, please update the thread when you can.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I wonder if Spring and Autumn are worse times for cars hitting cyclists due to dazzling low sun shining on windscreens misty with plasticiser film or just moisture?

My last two close passes were by elderly men driving tiny cars and heading towards the sun. I don't believe either driver actually saw me. Older drivers sometimes don't use the demister on low speed to ventilate the car as they believe it's only for the first few minutes in the morning. It's why they often drive huddled in hat, coat and gloves with little holes wiped in the condensation.

Top Bottom