Another day another squeeze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I seem to be getting a lot of this recently.

I have changed my commute slightly and take this junction from a different direction, and despite being in the primary position I keep getting squeezed out of this lane! :blush: :eek:

The two lanes on approach split to four lanes. However, it is laid out such that the left lane (of the approaching two) is the correct lane for the left three lanes at the junction. Therefore, I am in the correct lane on approach, however, I keep getting forced out of my lane despite being in the primary.

I think I will being moving even further over to the right in future on approach to this junction (Super primary). Would this just encourage undertaking?. What do you think?

Oh and note the slightly illegal number plate on the trailer!

dondare

Über Member
If you can match the average speed of the traffic then take the lane. If it's going significanty faster keep to the left and be extra careful. Trailers are a menace.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

dondare said:
If you can match the average speed of the traffic then take the lane. If it's going significanty faster keep to the left and be extra careful. Trailers are a menace.

The problem is that at the point that it is two lanes there is a barrier on the pavement so I feel I don't want to be squeezed here, so I take the primary position. Also as the lanes split if I am too far over to the left I could get 'dragged' into a lane I don't want to be in by cars that overtake at that point and pull over to one of the lanes to the left.

If, as I approach the junction, I move over to the left of the lane I am in I feel that I would get squeezed out of the lane I want to be in more often.

I tend to be traveling at about 20mph with a speed limit of 30mph, so I don't feel I am holding up the traffic too much.

Keith Oates

Janner
As you say that was 'a little bit close', it's difficult to know what to do, but if you're travelling at 20 mph I don't think that you will be causing much of a hold up if you are out further into the road!!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Just remember your a "Hero" not an underdog, as a cyclist you do have a equal right to road space.

Big T

Guru
Which lane do you want to end up in?

I have a similar situation on my commute, but I need to end up in the far right lane, so I just ride in the outside lane. If people undertake me on the inside lane, then so be it, so long as they're not putting me in any danger.

frog

On a couple of occasions in the past I've had to abandon the primary position in a lane and take it so far out that I'm riding with my right foot over the right hand lane stripe. Some times you really have to hammer it home that you actually need to be where you are. Sorry to say it doesn't always work. I find that a new route is always a bit of a nightmare because you have to educate the drivers to your ways. Then if you're a few minutes early or late you have to start from scratch with a new batch of plonkers.

I hope you've phoned the company and told them about the free advertising for their company you've arranged. :tongue:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments.

Eat my dust, yes I do use that tactic sometimes. Maybe I should try that whilst not wearing my helmet, having a blond wig on and some shopping hanging from my handlebars. I'm sure drivers would give me more room then!

Big T, I want to end up in the second lane from the right (the lane I end up in behind the trailer).

Frog,
Yes I have started taking a more extreme primary position and no problems so far (early days!). I haven't phoned the company as this is a fairly regular occurance at the moment and I would be phoning every second day! I only have time to focus on complaints when I think it will make a difference (which isn't very often :tongue: )

Top Bottom