Another domestic Q. How do you wash your duvet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My wife used to take it to the laundry once a year/maybe 6 months.
Not sure why but think it was the problem drying it.
Mine is a double. Polyester. 13 tog.
Any thoughts ?

Summer weight ones can be done in a normal washing machine

anything like 13 tog will need the bigger ones in a laundry

in any case they are a pig to dry

WHen I first had a house I used to wash mine in the bath - half filled it with warm water and some soap powder and chucked the duvet in and moved tit around and squeezed it round a lot

It was scary how dark the water went

normally needed rinsing several times

Then it weighed a ton and I left a trail of drips all down the stairs to the garden to hang it on the line
the line needed 2 props or it would have snapped and even if it didn't it would have dragged on the floor

needed to be done early on a bright summer morning so it had all day to drip

right pain in the whatsit

which is why you use a proper laundry and spend loads of money on the drier

vickster

Legendary Member
Take it to a laundry. I do the spare summer weight king size one in my 9kg capacity machine in the summer and then drape over the whirly in the garden to dry.
Mine is feather, I don’t bother washing, just wash the cover

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Summer weight ones can be done in a normal washing machine

anything like 13 tog will need the bigger ones in a laundry

in any case they are a pig to dry

WHen I first had a house I used to wash mine in the bath - half filled it with warm water and some soap powder and chucked the duvet in and moved tit around and squeezed it round a lot

It was scary how dark the water went

normally needed rinsing several times

Then it weighed a ton and I left a trail of drips all down the stairs to the garden to hang it on the line
the line needed 2 props or it would have snapped and even if it didn't it would have dragged on the floor

needed to be done early on a bright summer morning so it had all day to drip

right pain in the whatsit

which is why you use a proper laundry and spend loads of money on the drier

The local laundry charges 18 quid. I drop it off and 24 hours later collect it....washed and dried.
It is starting to sound a no brainer.

dicko

Guru
Firstly wait for a sunny and windy day with no rain forcast. Load loosly in washing machine choose a liquid detergent at 30 or 40 deg C wash of about 30 to 45 minutes. Spin speed 800 rpm.
(Done thousands of Duvets we owned our very own Laundromat I Southbourne).

Hicky

Guru
I'd take it to a laundry which you trust or others trust. It will knacker your washing machine esp if the tog is 7 or over and you're machine isn't a large drum and in good condition. It wrecks bearings due to the wet weight.
If it's down then it has to be dried with care.

Alex321

Veteran
Ours only normally get washed once a year each - with each quilt being used for around hlf the year, they get washed when we swap from summer to winter or back again.

Done in the washing machine, one at a time. The lightest ones CAN be dried in the tumbler, but normally they all go on the rotary line for drying.

Sleeping bags are also washed after the last Sealed Knot muster of the year - though my wife has one which the home washing machine can't manage, so that one has to go to a laundrette.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thinking about it more....I know people who air the duvet out on the washing line once or twice a year, but don't wash it. My parents and grandparents were very houseproud and washed bed sheets once a week without fail, but I've never heard of them washing a duvet. It might be that a new duvet is bought every 5 years or so but only because it gets lumpy or tears, not specifically because it's dirty. Probably one of those weird things that some people have never done, but then hear that other people do it, so then start doing it because it makes them feel they're not very clean?

Top Bottom