Another driver complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Drivers, just found another gripe.

Why do so many think its OK to drive with the frost cleared from a 1’ square of the windscreen only?

MOT will be failed for a bullseye in the swept area, yet these are going out with >50% off the swept area completely obscured

Usually means they’ve got no effective mirrors either!

Why do so many think its OK to drive with the frost cleared from a 1’ square of the windscreen only?

Because cuddled up in their centrally heated bed extension, they waft along as if still dreaming, blissfully unaware of the outside world.

Trillian

it takes me 10 mins to clean my screen when taking a mini bus out,

can't reach properly on half the busses we have but still do the best i can with my nectar card, get most of it.

love the old LDV vans, you can stand on the bonnet of them to clear the screen!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Trillian said:
it takes me 10 mins to clean my screen when taking a mini bus out

Takes me 30 seconds to sort out the windscreen, rear and mirrors, once I’ve actually thought ahead and boiled the kettle.;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Back when I commuted by car regularly, I used to defrost the windscreen etc thoroughly before setting off. I've no idea why so many people take so little pride or thought in their driving.

davidtq

Back in my car driving days my favourite method of de icing the windscreen was tepidly warm water with a very heavy dose of salt, stops the screen refreezing as you drive down the road, no risks of temperature change related cracks ;), sure in 10 years time it may cause corrosion problems, but Ive never kept a car for longer than a couple of years... I never saw any corrosion as a result of it... Takes seconds to clear the windscreen like that.

I think worst method I ever used was a de-icing spray - lethal stuff, sure it clears the screen then refreezes 20 metres down the road with a really awefull hard to remove type of ice...

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Best ways probably something like a Webasto preheater. Text your car. Automatically starts up a fuel heater, inline with the engine coolant. Warms up the engine and starts the interior fan, so it defrosts the windscreen.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
When I used to drive I made the mistake of using boiling water to quickly defrost a windscreen. Once huge crack and a costly error.

gambatte said:

Because they are Lazy and every second counts in the race to get to work ?

My Method of De-Icing the Car

Start car - turn heat up to maximum - turn blower up to maximum on windscreen - switch on rear window de-mister thingy - and then go back indoors and enjoy my cup of coffee and when i'm ready the car is lovely and warm and fully de-iced :angry:

Simon

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
I used to put a hot water bottle on the dashboard first thing, and once I'd got tea, shower, shave etc., I came out to a nice clear screen and it didn't mist up inside either.

CotterPin

Jakes Dad said:
Because they are Lazy and every second counts in the race to get to work ?

My Method of De-Icing the Car

Start car - turn heat up to maximum - turn blower up to maximum on windscreen - switch on rear window de-mister thingy - and then go back indoors and enjoy my cup of coffee and when i'm ready the car is lovely and warm and fully de-iced :biggrin:

Simon

Has the car always been there when you finish your coffee? :angry:

Plax

Guru
domd1979 said:
Front heated windscreens are quite a fantastic invention...

I think Ford have the patent on that don't they? My boyfriend has a Focus with a heated windscreen. I've never known any other car manufacturer to have one.

Top Bottom