... another dry/wet river bed thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Out with junior yesterday and we came across this sign:

DSC_0016.JPG

That log flume needs examining, I thought. Then I found this intriguing sign:

DSC_0027.JPG

Translated:- WARNING. BEING IN THE RIVER IS HIGHLY DANGEROUS.
Junior, (not being able to read) intrepidly, agreed to explore.

DSC_0028.JPG

Beautiful! We'll be back.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 24

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
That does look stunning. Stay safe :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We've had this with the brook, which runs from a reservoir above the town, under our house and down to the Ribble. We had a chap doing some pointing and maintenance in the culvert one day. "Does it ever flood?" he asked me. "Naaah.... never except in heavy rain" sez I. An hour later I'm at work and my phone rings - a huge wall of water has come tearing down the brook, carrying away the bloke's planks and barrow and almost drowning him and his son who just managed to jump out. I rang United Utilities and played hell with them and eventually got an admission that they had chosen that morning for the annual test-opening of the scour valve at the bottom of the dam....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
We've had this with the brook, which runs from a reservoir above the town, under our house and down to the Ribble. We had a chap doing some pointing and maintenance in the culvert one day. "Does it ever flood?" he asked me. "Naaah.... never except in heavy rain" sez I. An hour later I'm at work and my phone rings - a huge wall of water has come tearing down the brook, carrying away the blokes planks and barrow and almost drowning him and his son who just managed to jump out. I rang United Utilities and played hell with them and eventually got an admission that they had chosen that morning for the annual test-opening of the scour valve at the bottom of the dam....
Didn't you post a photo of the brook and garden one time? And having some idea of your location did make me wonder about possible flooding.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The only time we've had flooding was when a load of saplings and brushwood came down the brook in heavy rain and got jammed and matted upstream of the house, preventing the water from flowing underneath. It overflowed and ran around the house a couple of inches deep then on down the road; our DPC and floor level is 18" above the surrounding garden so for the water to have got into the house it would have had to have been a catastrophic flood.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
Maybe it's like the River Washburn below Thruscross Reservoir?
Normally little more than a shallow stream that you can easily stride through - until they release the water from the dam...

:eek:
Yes, it's like that. The dam was a few hundred metres upstream. Almost within view. Judging by the dry sand and plants the dam hasn't been opened this year.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
That does look stunning. Stay safe :okay:
Yes. The scenery here in Telemark is jaw-dropping. We're very lucky we can holiday here for free. Although SHE is going on about holidaying on the Med next year.

Top Bottom