Another dunce question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I have the feeling this is such a stupid question that my husband would disown me if he knew I'd asked it in public...but here goes.

My hybrid has 700cc tyres. My new tourer has 26" tyres. Does this make a difference?

I suspect this is a logic/science question but I'm not very logical and I did languages instead of science...so I'm floundering here.

Not being able to give you a layman answer (I did laguages as well) and if you can be bothered to plough through this, this may help you. It is specifically meant for tandems, but the principles should be the same!
Hope it doesn't seem like homework! :rolleyes:

http://www.gtgtandems.com/tech/700-26.html

700cc are 'road' size wheels... tend to be thinner than MTB wheels, which are (usually) 26".

much has been written about the advantages of one over the other... 26" are meant to accelerate better. for off-road tyre choices, they have more, etc. road wheels roll better (supposedly)... the list goes on.

L

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Dayvo, thanks for the link. I got lost half way through (so will save it to read again) but if nothing else, it made me feel my question wasn't as thick as I thought.

The stability thing is interesting. My tourer feels less stable than my hybrid, I wonder if it's linked to the wheel size.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The small difference between 700c wheels and 26" would not make a difference to stability. Assuming the hybrid has flat bars and the tourer drops, if you are used to doing your riding on the flats the drops will feel twitchier till you get used to them.

Frame geometry also plays a big part in how lively a bike will feel.

Keith Oates

Janner
Cathryn, no question is stupid, if you don't know something then ask that's the way we all learn. The only people that may indicate it's a stupid question are usually the ones that don't know the answers themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
User76 said:
Hey Catherine, that is not a stupid question. As Keith says the only daft bit is not admitting you don't know something. I'll let you into a secret, but don't tell soul. I have absolutely no idea what the 'c' after 700 or 650 or whatever means, I'm not joking, I have no idea. Problem is, because I'm a bloke I am never going to admit it:thumbsup:
Ha !! You just did.
nerr nerr ne nerr nerr

Mr Phoebus

Cathryn said:
I have the feeling this is such a stupid question that my husband would disown me if he knew I'd asked it in public...but here goes.

My hybrid has 700cc tyres. My new tourer has 26" tyres. Does this make a difference?

How about asking your husband? Then say to him "No dinner, nookie,etc, till you can give me a clear concise answer."

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
The C bit refers to the width of the tyre, apparently. There used to be 700a, 700b and 700d as well. I've actually come across a 650A tube in France, which fitted a 26 by 1 3/8 nicely. I have no idea what possessed me to take that bike to France. I was young and stupid, I imagine.
That's all changed because I'm older now!;)

paulbuckle

So I'm going to make you all look like einstein by asking if the circumference between the 2 is different?

Only because I am taking cat-eye wireless computer of a mountain bike and putting it on a road bike with 700c tyres, and want to know if I need to recalibrate it ;)

bonj2

paulbuckle said:
So I'm going to make you all look like einstein by asking if the circumference between the 2 is different?

Only because I am taking cat-eye wireless computer of a mountain bike and putting it on a road bike with 700c tyres, and want to know if I need to recalibrate it ;)

yes you do

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I blame the frenchies with these stupid sizes -In the UK, 27" was 27 inches (the old racer wheels similar to 700c), 26" is/was 26 inches, 700c - Thats about 27.5" in size - Just being silly here, but we're full of metric and non metric wheel sizes these days.

Top Bottom