Another Ebay purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I was browsing Ebay the other week when I saw an old Triumph racer, it was 'pick up only' about 90 minutes drive from home but I put it on my watch list and thought I'd have a bid if it din't go silly. So just as the auction ended I put in a bid and won it for £33.

Triumph.jpg

It appeared to be in good condition just a bit grotty so I gave it a quick strip, clean and rebuild.

DSCF6345.jpg

DSCF6349.jpg

DSCF6348.jpg

I haven't changed anything apart from the standard pedals for SPD SLs (and the grease in the bearings!). I finished re-assembling it this morning and went for a 20 mile ride this afternoon.

wow - bargin. Looks lovely Mark.

Bobtoo

Über Member
That looks a great deal. I've never seen a modern (I'm guessing it's mid-1980s, which I regard as modern) Triumph before. Did they end up as another Raleigh brand?

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

I think that it is just a rebranded Raleigh, the chainset is Raleigh as are the wheels and 'Raleigh Racing' tyres. Also the head tube badge says 'Made in Nottingham'.
I was pleased that the chrome rims cleaned up nicely as so many of this age are rust pitted beyond redemption.
Riding it today around Richmond park the lack of ratios (only 10) was apparent, not sure what the rear gears are but the front are 52-42 and 'spinning' in the lowest gear was quite a grind!
It did make me smile when I got home to think that although my ride had probably been slower than if I was on my carbon Ribble, this bike had only cost me £33.00 and was no less fun :biggrin: .

Bobtoo

Über Member
I got a similar bike for my son a few weeks ago. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190560677560 It's a Phillips Phantom, which is also a Raleigh in disguise and quite possibly the exact same bike as yours. I found it quite nice to ride and kind of wish I'd got it for myself but I agree that the gearing could be better.

OP
OP
Mark Grant

Mark Grant

I got a similar bike for my son a few weeks ago. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190560677560 It's a Phillips Phantom, which is also a Raleigh in disguise and quite possibly the exact same bike as yours. I found it quite nice to ride and kind of wish I'd got it for myself but I agree that the gearing could be better.

Ha!
I looked at that one but decided it was a bit too far to pick up!

Bobtoo

Über Member
It was a bit far for anybody to pick up, including me, but I had work to do in the area so I booked it for the day after the auction ended. :biggrin:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wow! Lovely shiny bike!

I can't help thinking it was gearing like that that must have put a lot of potential cyclists off the sport. First mountain bikes and more recently compact gearing have made cycling so much easier for the novice.

Top Bottom