Another 'Gig' Booked

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Last night on Pottery Throwdown the theme for the final works was Alice in Wonderland and as the competitors' stress increased they played White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane. What a great song that is, as good as The End and Stairway to Heaven and several other great sixties rock classics. I rushed upstairs to the Mac and downloaded it off iTunes then listened to it three times before going to sleep.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
After a gap of no shows for quite a few years (1). & after seeing The Stray Cats on their 40th anniversary tour last June (at Manchester Apollo) my wife suggested we see some more

So, a while ago, I gently suggested a band at Holmfirth Picturedrome (who are appearing later this month) & even after listening/watching on YouTube she said "Yes":eek:
(hence we have tickets)
They are...………… Hayseed Dixie :okay:

I was a bit unsure of the reaction I'd get, as last summer, on one of out multiple trips to Birmingham (that we had to undertake back then), she heard them on the CD player in my car
Maybe it was one track that really got to her?
We'd stopped at the services, & restarted, when ….. 'She Was Skinny When I Met Her' came on...………….:blush:

Hayseed Dixie are a great live band. Saw them in Birmingham once; it was a great evening out. Much hilarity and wonderful entertainers first, with the music almost a backdrop.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've also got tickets for Gong in Stroud in November, that one should be ok.
Excellent. Saw them twice last year, and a kind of third time as Steve Hillage's backing band. :okay:

I'm 70% certain that my Henge gig at Easter will be cancelled/postponed. :sad:

EDIT... Henge postponed until the 20th June... which feels a bit optimistic.

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I've got tickets for a couple of upcoming gigs, Föllakzoid in Leicester in the middle of April and Yes in Birmingham early June. In the present virus situation I wouldn't be at all surprised if neither go ahead.
I've also got tickets for Gong in Stroud in November, that one should be ok.

The above talk of tribute bands reminded me of seeing the Australian Pink Floyd in Tewkesbury Roses Theatre quite a few years ago, couldn't see them performing at such a venue these days.
Also saw a Doors tribute band in Gloucester three or four years ago, that was a good gig.

Well, the inevitable has happened, I received notification last night that the Föllakzoid gig has been cancelled. Expecting the same for the Yes gig soon.

Drago

Legendary Member
I due to see Jethro Tull in October. Im hoping that it's far enough in the future that it won't get cancelled.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I due to see Jethro Tull in October. Im hoping that it's far enough in the future that it won't get cancelled.
Has Ian Anderson got his voice back? My brother went to see a show a couple of Xmas's ago and Joe Elliot (of Def Lepard) was on vocal duties as Ian just couldn't do it any more... could still play the flute mind.

Drago

Legendary Member
Nah, his voice has never been the same since he had throat problems in the 80s. I put it down to him being, back then, a fairly heavy smoker.

But you're right - he still plays umpteen different instruments and leaps about the stage li,e a goggle eyed loon.

Globalti

Legendary Member
How many ageing rock stars have lost their ability to sing? Elton John, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey.... they all have to drop an octave when a high note comes along. We saw Gordon Lightfoot a year ago and he can't sing at all, his excellent band and a small retinue of travelling fans carried him through the show. It was awful.

Drago

Legendary Member
I saw Gordon Lightfoot a few years ago. His first UK dates since 198p, so was keen to go. Sadly, you're right - his voice was gone completely, and his guitar playing was only just hanging in there. It was sad really, but I'm still glad I went.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Went to see Showaddywaddy at the Holmfirth Picturedome a couple of years ago. It was brilliant - best night out I've had for years. A great music venue with a proper "sticky floor".

I may have fallen asleep in the kebab shop on the way back to the Airbnb at 1am ish :blush:
We're going to the Picturedome to see Judge Jules. Was gonna be May, now hopefully August 1. Should be fun, I suspect Holmfirth is decent for a few pre gig beers @Kestevan ?

Top Bottom