Another Hi-Fi thread - streaming

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes, I'm old enough to still call it Hi-Fi not Audio. :smile:

Current system: Logitech Touch streaming ripped FLACS from QNAP NAS via Arcam rDac into Sugden Masterclass amp' and then into some fancy little Dynaudio speakers.

I want to stream Spotify Premium (I'm at an age when the higher res' sonic delights of Tidal etc are no longer discernible to my aging ears) but my brilliant little Logitech Touch (why was this ever discontinued) no longer supports Spotify.

So, I need a new streamer. Current in the frame offerings are Arcam rPlay, Bluesound Node 2 or the monstrous looking Sonos Connect (designed to be hidden).

Does anyone on here have any direct experience of using any of these in conjunction with the Spotify App and what are your thoughts?

Or are there any other options available that are sensibly priced - up to around £5-600 that you have experience of?

Particularly interested in slickness of operation, no glitches etc - as well as sound quality.

I've asked on an audio forum but tbh the thread went OT pretty fast once someone started wittering about Raspberry Pi's. :angry:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Chromecast Audio not good enough quality for you?

Venod

Eh up
I have A Yamaha music cast WX50 plays Spotify seamlessly also have a Yamaha internet connected speaker in the bedroom, provides a system similar to Sonos.

KneesUp

Guru
Which product are you referencing with the “snotty user forum” comment?

Should it matter, OP, the Raspberry Pi - Volumio combo will also play ‘raw’ DSD files. My stereo now consists of my faithful old Arcam amp, a pair of speakers and the Pi. I have a tuner in the cupboard in case of extended internet outage but even saying that makes me feel like one of those end of the world preppers

EDIT - You can also use the Spotify app on your (Apple) phone and use Airplay to stream it direct to the PI, which is quite nifty if you have been listening on headphones and then want to continue on the proper stereo.

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just a thought, but have you tried Google Play music? I preferred it to spotify and it's the same price per month. Might be an option if it's compatible with your current setup and so will not cost you to buy new kit.

Venod

Eh up
As well as the Yamaha mentioned in my last post (https://theaudiophileman.com/wxc-wxa/) I have a couple of chromecast audios connected to other equipment, as mentioned above these connect to Spotify easily they will play the music from the NAS using your phone, there are lots of apps to do this, I have found Bubble PNP to be the best for me. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp&hl=en_GB

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just a thought, but have you tried Google Play music? I preferred it to spotify and it's the same price per month. Might be an option if it's compatible with your current setup and so will not cost you to buy new kit.

Its what I use. Streamed from my Laptop, phone or tablet to a blurtooth speaker.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
After much dithering/research I finally ordered Arcam's rPlay. Seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Arcam.jpeg

Top Bottom