Another light thread...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys,

Before I start, I want to apologise for another light thread, however, I've a specific function of the light, before lumen's comes into it.

I'm looking for a light which has a pulse feature. Ideally a little cheaper than an Exposure / Cateye Nano Shot Plus, but if push comes to shove, then so be it.
The pulse feature I mean, isn't a flash off/on, but a steady beam which goes brighter, allowing me to see the ultra-smooth roads of Plymouth, and oncoming vehicles see me.

Ideally the light needs to be rechargeable, as my current Cree light is a bit power hungry, and although I like it's ability to zoom in and out, it's not ideal for going onto unlit trails, which I've recently found out.

I have been told the Lezyne MegaDrive has a pulse feature, but unfortunately my local Evans Cycles store don't have it in stock for me to see.

As for lumens, the Cree I currently have is meant to be 600lm, however I've no idea if it's anywhere near it.
But as long as it's bright enough to go through unlit tunnels, the unlit roads on the moors, and can keep a decent amount of charge for long rides, then that's all that matters.

If I need to sink money into something expensive, then I honestly don't mind, ideally below the £150 mark though, given Spring/Summer on it's way, I can only hope the prices come down as a temporary measure.

I'm not sure what you mean by pulse - despite your explanation! - do you mean something that can change output levels with the press of a button? e.g. it has 2 or 3 output settings so you can increase the brightness (or whatever you call it) then press the button and it dims?

If so, this one has 2 settings (and flash) and swaps between the 2 with a light press of the on/off switch on the end of the torch. I got it last winter and it has served me well - I got 2 extra batteries as well and that set-up will see me ok for long overnight rides:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-mo...K_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43c6a5636b

Or Hope One is an option. But you could get 2 of the Fluxient torches for less!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think he means those lights which don't go off when they flash but instead flash between being on and a brighter being on.

I don't have one of those lights but sometimes I run two lights on the front one on stead and the other flashing to give a similar effect.

Unimaginative

Über Member
I believe he means a light that brightens and dims continuously without any additional button presses; for example starting at 100 lumens and brightening to 200 then fading back down to 100 and repeating on that cycle.

I would advise using two separate lights; one for the pulse feature (to be seen) and another to see where you are going.

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
Hi folks,

Sorry for the confusion, flashing to me is an on/off/on function, much like a strobe.
However I mean it's on/bright/on/bright.
Hopefully this video will show what I mean (these lights are excellent safety lights by the way, I have a pair myself):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypqi6aGvfcA

I'm currently riding with three lights on the front of my bike, a Knog frog which flashes, the Cateye Nima pulsing and my steady beam Cree so I can see.
The Cateye was actually the better of the two safeties, given it's pulse.

The Cateye Nano Shot Plus has a hyperconstant feature, however I'm to understand that this is one LED steady and the other flashing, not pulsing.

atomic

OP
OP
PlymSlimCyclist

PlymSlimCyclist

Veteran
I've got a Cateye Volt 300 I use for commuting and training rides. It's small charge lasts a few days commuting and I can charge it at work via USB.

My commute is mostly down unlit country roads and it's more than bright enough on medium to see my way.

Review:
http://road.cc/content/review/108798-cateye-volt-300-front-light

Can be had for under £40 online...
http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1682813/p...00-lumen-usb-rc-rechargeable-front-light.aspx
Thanks atomic, I have been looking at these for a while, my LBS were showing them to me, along with an electron one.

Will have another serious look :smile:

Top Bottom