Another lumpy (road) forum ride from Hebden Bridge! 56 km (35 miles). Sat, 27th May, 2023.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll be interested to know what your forthcoming trip to check out the Luddendean Dean bridleway determines as that way looks good for the reasons you state of not dropping down to Booth. Prior to that, I intend to come up from Hebden and along the B road past the golf club as that looks more scenic than the valley.
Well, it isn't a B-road, but it IS a lot nicer than the valley road! You can take the longer/easier way up via Pecket Well, or the shorter/much more challenging way which is to go straight up Birchcliffe Rd.

I think we're talking about different things on the other bit; I hope so anyway! I was asking about the thing to the east of the Warley Moor *Reservoir*. Here. The Streetview data is from 2010 and it's not marked as a road on the OS map. It's on your route so I assume it's fine?
Ah! It effectively IS a road. I don't know what its legal status is but motor vehicles do drive along it. It used to be horrendously rough - huge potholes, gravel, broken glass and so on. I used to do it on my MTB back then but avoided it on my road bike. Some time later the surface was improved. It was never great, but good enough that one didn't fear that the bike would be destroyed by riding over there! My theory is that the council did what they had to do but didn't want to make it good enough for it to become a 'rat run' for drivers trying to avoid Hebden Bridge! I haven't ridden it for a few years so I should check that again too.

I am going for a birthday walk with a friend tomorrow. The forecast for Sunday is looking okay so I'll try to get up there then because I am going to Devon on Monday and don't want to leave my recce until I get back.

Pretty strange that I, literally this morning, thought I'd plan an imperial century to take in some of the high ground to the NE of Hebden that I've not covered before. It comes in at a rather feisty 3,500m in 161km at the moment. I can knock off an easy 400m ascent and 22km at the end if necessary though!
Yes, that is strange. And feisty!

Jameshow

Veteran
I may be able to come taxi duty is a week later.

I'll keep you posted.

Dadam

Oh, when I saw that you were planning the Scarborough ride I thought that your knee must be getting better. GWS and enjoy the York ride!

Er, no... :whistle:

The clues are in the first paragraph!

It is the same as far as the junction between Water Sheddles and Ponden reservoirs.

Ok gotcha. I did see the word "some" but as there was no route specified yet I wasn't sure. Hadn't looked at the route in detail and I didn't know the café wasn't on it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am still hoping to go ahead with this ride, but...

... slightly worrying things have been going on with my right eye while down in Devon! I am travelling home tomorrow and will try to get an eye exam done on Thursday.

Assuming that my eye is ok, let's meet in the park in Hebden Bridge at 10:25 and leave at 10:30. The Park Life cafe by the old bowling green opens at 10:00 on Saturdays so you could buy a coffee (or whatever) if you get there early.

Let's try the bridleway variation. I won't have time for a recce now, but I think it should be ok. Worst case, might involve short walks with the bikes

I will post again before Saturday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

... slightly worrying things have been going on with my right eye while down in Devon! I am travelling home tomorrow and will try to get an eye exam done on Thursday.
Phew... Looks like it was probably a false alarm! I am just on my way back from my eye test. I managed to get a free PEARS appointment but decided to pay £60 to get extra scans done to double check.

It looks like the vitreous jelly in my ageing eyes decided to move around a bit and dragged slightly on my right retina, causing alarming flashes in my right peripheral vision.

There are no signs of tears in or detachment of the retina, which were potential causes.

I had a glaucoma pressure test while I was there. (My mum had it and family members are supposed to get annual checks done if a close relative suffered.) I will make a note in my diary to get one every year now.

So... I am still up for Saturday's ride!

Last edited:
Top Bottom