Another motorbike spill

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
but thankfully not by me. Last night going home from work on the bicycle a small 100 cc motorbike was passing me when from a side road another motorbike came out without looking. The motorbike passing me then stamped on his back brake, locked the wheel and slid to the side and dropped it. Luckily no serious damage to rider or bike. However out here in China and Vietnam all riders only use the back brake and never (or almost never) use the front and when I point this out to them they think I'm wrong. Has anybody else seen this problem or had a similar discussion ref use of brakes on bikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It crops up on a fairly regular basis on NewsGroups (re.bicycles.tech), particularly strong views from 'over the pond' .

asterix

Comrade Member
Of course this can also happen on a bicycle but IME it happens when using both brakes in an emergency stop.

When years ago, I had a 100cc motorbike it used to do the same but larger bikes didn't have the problem (maybe I didn't do so many emergency stops!).

I'd agree that bike riders should learn to use both brakes properly - that's what they taught us before my motorbike test.

Tynan

Veteran
I used to scooter, front brake is your boy every time, much more effective as long as you don't lock it

the back one is helpful when used with the front, read loads of proper bikers that say they never use the back

low speed control and slowing a bit going into a bend is what I was taught

and emergency stops natch, but don't lock the front, game over at that point

Tynan

Veteran
me and Sheldon see eye to eye on brakes

I try to use the back to reduce routine wear on the front though

'coming down on a stopped front wheel is a Very Bad Thing.'

yuk yuk

I've been trying advice re cornering from another resource about keeping the body upright, Sheldon says keep it all in line, what to do

Top Bottom