1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another New Bike Thread!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by somekindofwizard, 13 Sep 2007.

1. somekindofwizard

somekindofwizard New Member

Hi,

I have been commuting the last year or so on my trusty Marin Muirwood which has recently had a bad time with someone kicking the hell out of the back wheel while chained up. It now has a couple of snapped spokes plus no back brake. To fix it up I would need a new back wheel and brakes plus the drive train isn't as good as it was so I would do that up as well. However as I am moving further away from work I have just thought sod it I will get a new bike better suited.

My thoughts are aiming towards a spesh Tricross or similar type cross bike. Does anyone own one out there? What are their opinions on them?

What similar bikes are out there, I know Planet X do one and as I also own one of their superlights I would be tempted back if they are good but I can't find anyone who owns one!

Thanks for any advice!

2. Sorry about the bike. When I bought my Road Bike I had it narrowed down to a Tricross and a C2C Bianchi (their comfort range). I opted for the Bianchi but I don't use it for comuting.

3. ash68

ash68 New Member

Bought a tricoss and used it to commute last year.I put mudguards and a rear rack on for the winter. Did over 6000miles no problems.Mine is the double chainset 34/48 ended putting wider cassette on to give lower gears for longer,hilly rides around northumberland.Pleased with the bike and recommend it for steady commuting'its never going to be ultrafast as its a little heavier than a racing bike.Think this years model is available with triple chainset and tiagra sti's, mine are sora sti's which have been fine but only 8 speed of course. I changed my tyres to marathon plus instead of the spesh bouroughs supplied with the bike.Hope this helps:becool:

4. johnr

johnr Über Member

I've had a tricross since March. Use it mostly for commuting about 16 miles a day on country roads but do go offroad on tracks/sustrans routes etc. It's great. Takes me up the steep hill next to my house whilst I'm still dozing. I get overtaken by race riders - but I make them work at it! I put on mudguards and am about to fit a rack for a camping trip.

5. somekindofwizard

somekindofwizard New Member

Thanks for all the feedback, tried out the tricross last week and looks like a new purchase is required!!

Also decided I am going to try to rebuild my own bike up myself to get some understanding of how bikes go together so look out for more questions here!