Another new guy saying hello

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Hello Ladies and Gents.

I've just joined after years of quiet lurking because I've just finished bringing an old Carlton Pro Am 12 back to life, albeit with 9 speed tiagra, 700c wheels and a new paint scheme as a homage to my old Carlten Ten (sold when I left home to get a job).

So why join? I can't wait to show it of on the 'Steel is Real' forum. Why the name, well I'm both a fan of old Carltons and an old fan of Carltons.

Whilst I build up enough posts to be allowed posts with pictures, why not show me your old Carltons?

Yours

Oldcarltonfan

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Hi oldcarltonfan and :welcome:

They are very pretty bikes, and I think it says something about their build quality that so many are still around today. There are quite a few Carlton owners on here too (not me unfortunately)

OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Thanks mcshroom,

I've only got the 2 Carltons at the moment, I thought they were getting rare until I started looking at websites like this. It has certainly inspired me to keep them going, plus build up a suitable selection of NOS and good condition second hand bits to see them right for the next 40+ years. That is assuming my wife doesn't make me sell one of my bikes, but I really do need a fast-road machine, a tourer, a road-modified MTB on slicks, a full MTB and a tandem. Given that Lincolnshire is fairly flat, I might even build myself a fixie next year!

Thanks for the reply. I must confess, until I started reading some of the 'techie' and 'how to' stuff on this site I thought I knew quite a lot about bikes. Now I 've learnt how much I don't know, which I suppose is a start.

Oldcarltonfan

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I see a space for a recumbent and a cross-bike in that list :biggrin:

I think we are always learning new things about bikes; to be honest I'm not sure anyone knows some of the things posted in there (including the posters sometimes :tongue:)

The best bit is getting out and riding them though :smile:

OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Not to forget a unicycle, tricycle and a dutch sit up and beg. I expect there are plenty of people on this site who have many more bikes than I have!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm looking forward to the better weather and getting off the turbo-trainer.

oldcarlton fan

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Welcome to Cycle Chat! There are quite a few Carlton fans round these parts - here's a link to a thread with pics of my recent acquisition, a 1974 Carlton Corsa.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

If you check out Spokesmann's profile you'll find links there to some pictures of his beautifully restored collection!

OP
OP
oldcarltonfan

oldcarltonfan

Veteran
Thanks Baggy,

I've just had a quick look. For years I pottered around on my trusty old Carlton thinking I was a bit of an odd ball to get pleasure from keeping a comfy and reliable older bike going and not chasing the latest thing. Only when I had the idea of re-building another one did I discover the many other odd balls also pottering around on their old Carltons. I presume there are as many Holdsworth or Claud Butler fans, I simply haven't noticed?

oldcarltonfan

Whilst we've already met on an another thread, this is a good time to say hello officially, so to speak. My first decent bike was a Carlton Stadium, not a particularly good one but way better than my friends Raleighs. I'd still have it if it had not been nicked. Later on I had a Giro which took me on a few good trips. I replaced that by going back in time to a Rotrax (50's frame). Even today my roadbike is a fairly traditional Dawes Audax, steel frame jobby and I've just purchased a Raleigh Pioneer off another member on here. There's definetly a pattern to my bikes. Welcome to the forum.

Top Bottom