Another new rider

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
User1314 said:
Silly q but...

...why are toe-straps dangerous? What are the pros and cons?

over flat pedals:
pros: they allow more efficient power transmission as the upswing of your foot also adds to the downswing.
cons: if you don't unclip fast enough, you'll fall off.

over clipless:
pros: none
cons: they are harder to unclip from, and toe clip bolts are notorious for working themselves loose.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you are practiced with toe clips, they are OK, especially if you have the correct shoes. Not so much dangerous, but the main 'cons' are:-

Main cons are:-

More likey to stay strapped into the pedal in a crash - i.e. potential for more leg strains etc. - clipless always break free.

Toeclips are slower to disengage - you have to flip the strap first - clipless are twist and out.

Toeclips - or the straps themselves can cause more hot spots on the foot - i.e. overly tight

Clipless are more efficient pedalling due to the better retention.

PS Track riders often have additional straps - only because they are big beefy buggers..... if road sprinters don't need them, you don't....

oneear

Weight

you say 12.5 stone but how tall are you? Weight can be deceptive. Waist measurement is a good guide but best of all ask your practice nurse or GP about your ideal weight. The breathlesness assuming no health issues will lessen with exercise but keep varying your route and effort so your body doesnt get too comfortable with a particular ride. make graded goals but take your time to build up. be comfortable at one level before steppping up:biggrin:

OP
OP
K

Keeno

Im around 5 10"

The thing that really spurred me into doing something was when I came back from a holiday. I just felt like total crap and realised that something had to be done asap.

Im going to do my usual rin tomorrow morning but add a section on to see how I go. Hoping to change the pedals at the end of the month (pay day), ill go back to the place I bought the bike and see whats on offer.

oneear

Weight

Hi Keeno

If you are 5'10" and male and of medium build or bigger 12.5 sounds pretty ok and maybe its just general aerobic/cardio fitness you need to work on, The good news is that at 28 you have a lot of potential to untap. I got seriously fit at 25 for about 6 years then divorce and depressed bad habits brought me down. Now I am 40 and geting back into the fitness thing its hard! Is your route very hilly? even in my unfit state 25 miles is pretty ok. Maybe you need to look at your cadence and incremental gear usage. You should be able to get up a modest hill maintaining rpm and an even effort using the gears. Presume you are on a road bike? I have both styles and the long route on an mtb is a killerdue to hogh rolling resistance! I'd love to be 12.5 again.your potential power to weight ratio is really good. oneear

Top Bottom