Another newbie from Brighton way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

powla

I've been lurking for a while and thought I should be polite and say hello! I started cycling bout 5 years ago commuting to work but since then I have absolutely fallen in love with it. I've got a very old Trek mountain bike which I've stuck slicks on and a rack. Its my commute to work (even when the weather is rubbish), popping to the shops and going off on day rides, in short I would be lost without it!

I dream of owning a road bike but thats for a time when I have a bit more money. I've lost loads of weight cycling (another bonus) and can't wait for the summer to kick in...

I live in Brighton but have spent two days in london surviving London roads (dear god its a miracle I survived so will be interested to know how the cycle super highways develop).

Its a great forum and am looking forward to being part of the community!

:tongue:

rusky

CC Addict
Welcome to the community!

Do you commute far?

bauldbairn

Welcome to the CC forums powla, I'm glad your enjoying your cycling. :biggrin:

Maybe you should see if your employer has a C2W(cycle to work) scheme - a lot of people on this forum find it an affordable way to purchase that expensive "road bike" tax free! :tongue: Think there are other cash benefits too!(to your employer and yourself).

OP
OP
P

powla

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Hove and work in Shoreham, so not too far and a pretty nice commute by the sea..when its not too windy!

I've thought of the cycle to work scheme and have read about it but I find it a bit weird that I would pay for it monthly then have to buy it at the end? Is it just me that thinks thats a bit bonkers?!

bauldbairn

powla said:
Thanks for the welcome. I live in Hove and work in Shoreham, so not too far and a pretty nice commute by the sea..when its not too windy!

I've thought of the cycle to work scheme and have read about it but I find it a bit weird that I would pay for it monthly then have to buy it at the end? Is it just me that thinks thats a bit bonkers?!

I think the general idea is - it's like an old fashioned hire purchase. You don't actually own it till you've made your final monthly payment - the payment to your employer is a token one(I think I've heard 5% / 10% of the value mentioned somewhere). I believe you can save upto half the price of the bike?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
cycle down to the Madiera Cafe some Saturday mornings between March and November and you have a chance to meet shedloads of active cc'ers eating breakfast after a FNRttC* London to Brighton ride. You've done Brighton (and Hove), you've done London, now you've got to cycle the bits in between.

see you around and ride safe.

*search for FNRttC in here and you'll find loads of threads

OP
OP
P

powla

I did indeed change my location, I always forget I live in Hove actually! And very proud I am too (when I remember lol)

I did the London to Brighton last year. I won't tell you how many hours that took, but it was great, and have done various other rides around Sussex. I think there's a tourer in me waiting to be fully unleashed!

Not sure what FNRttC is but I will check out the threads.

rusky

CC Addict
FNRttC = Friday night ride to the coast

What bike do you ride?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
powla said:
I did the London to Brighton last year.

Not sure what FNRttC is but I will check out the threads.

yeah but anyone can ride it in daylight..... only a proper nutter cyclist would ride it in the dark.

FNRttC is so much more than a rubbish acronym. It's certainly the most fun I've ever had in the dark.... with 50 other people.... with my clothes on..... on a bicycle....

OP
OP
P

powla

A night ride...now that sounds appealing and bet its lots of fun. Think its one I need to work up to...don't fancy getting lost in the dark just yet!

My trusty stead is an old trek mountain bike (sport 800), and although a bit on the heavy side its put up with some heavy riding and has been very durable.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
powla said:
A night ride...now that sounds appealing and bet its lots of fun. Think its one I need to work up to...don't fancy getting lost in the dark just yet!

No one gets lost, (alone anyway, there have been a couple of breakaways that have gone astray) no one gets left behind, and the group waits for slower riders.

Top Bottom