Another Newbie from Bristol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tadpole

Nutshell:
Bristol based, old and unfit.
More details Started cycling to work in the early 90’ not far 6 or 7 miles. Lived in Southmead worked in Pilning. Hell of a hill on the way there and its ugly twin on the way back. I had a bad argument with a car and this kept me from cycling for 10 years. Lots of thing happened in between including a move to a better part of Bristol, and a change of Jobs.
Long and no-doubt boring
I re-started cycling 3 years ago on a £50 bike from a second hand/junk store (bought just after my accident which saw my specialized bike trying desperately to support the weight of a car which was slowly crushing my right side). It had 10 gears and only three worked. Rode to work 8.5 mile each way once a week for a year, twice a week for the following year. Christmas last year made the decision to ride to work three times a week (back then it was to save money) I did so and hated it, the hellish 45 minutes slogging up and down the (so I thought at the time) huge hills. Mid January B-I-L mentioned Strava for android. Downloaded it, and have not looked back since, 45 hate-filled minutes is now an all to short 28 power fuelled minutes to work.
Replaced my battered and slightly dangerous old Raleigh Mistral, with what I felt was a great bike another Raleigh. (One, that I didn’t know, was considered just about the worst bike on the planet, no one seems to have a good word to say about it) SO here goes, my bike is a 1992 Raleigh Mustang AT in pink and white. It’s heavy, yes, but strong, I guess I am lucky as who ever owned it before me looked after it, and changed the front cogs/pinion/chainset to a more road suitable size. I’ve put on some semi slick puncture resistant tyres and pumped them up to max+20%. Since then I’ve done 1000 miles. And I love it. So Ok it’s a long hated BSO made of WDS (white dog S**t). but it’s mine and I love to scalp roadie on my way home from work.
That's me, I've lost lots of weight and gained lots of speed. I now ride to work 4 days a week. I'm booked to go on the Bath skyride on the 5th August, It's a 25 mile ride, I plan to cycle there and back, which will give me 54 miles for the day. Which will be my longest this year.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Welcome tadpole:welcome: , surely where ever you live in Bristol there is always a hill in between where you are and where you want to get to (in my last house - it was at the top of a hill meaning a great start but knowing whenever you were near to home the last bit would be uphill).

OP
OP
tadpole

tadpole

Welcome tadpole:welcome: , surely where ever you live in Bristol there is always a hill in between where you are and where you want to get to (in my last house - it was at the top of a hill meaning a great start but knowing whenever you were near to home the last bit would be uphill).
You are right of course, but they don't seem so steep as they did 6 months ago. Oh and thank you for the welcome. I live in St George, so I'm half way up a hill.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
You are right of course, but they don't seem so steep as they did 6 months ago. Oh and thank you for the welcome. I live in St George, so I'm half way up a hill.

st george is good fun! when i was unfit i managed to go from the centre to air baloon in 15 minutes! would love to attempt it now! i have lots of family in the area (st george, kingswood and willsbridge) and a few mates there too (RSclio 83 lives just off church road somewhere too!!)

glad to see your enjoying the cycling again though!

Spartak