Another Newbie Here!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazcambs

Hi everyone,

Just bought myself a Carrera Axle Limited Edition Ladies Hybrid 27.5" in Purple.

This is my first bike since I was 14 and am really looking forward to riding again. I know the bike I've bought isn't anything special and nothing like a Giant or a Specialized but to be honest I'm not good when it comes to starting new hobbies. If I dont get on with it after a few months then it'll never be seen again so that's why I've gone for something a bit cheaper than most of you have bought.

Hopefully this will not be a one hit wonder and I will go onto doing what I'd love to do and cycle London to Paris. That is my goal, whether I'll be able to do it is another thing but I'd love to do it for charity in memory of my uncles who passed away so very young (40's)

Would love any tips on getting started in cycling and how to slowly increase fitness and also any comments on the bike I've just bought.

thanks Maz

Angry Blonde

Über Member
Forget distances, and times and just enjoy yourself, dont do too much at tbe start to sicken yourself, most of all just enjoy it

13 rider

Guru
:welcome: just go steady to start with no point in pushing it to soon that will put you off.I got a bike for the first time in 20 years in sept and started doing small rides 6 to 10 miles .I slowly increased distance to each week and passed the 50m barrier just before Xmas .The most important thing is to enjoy being out and about find some quiet lanes and off you go .I also ride a hybrid nice comfy ride to get you into riding not sure about purple :biggrin: mines silver

raleighnut

Legendary Member
:welcome: Ideal bike to start on, they are well made bikes and IMO a hybrid is the most useful type of bike to have as you can commute, tour or take em along trails/towpaths and they just get on with it. Good 'workhorse' bikes.^_^

paul04

Über Member
Welcome to the website :smile:

Hi everyone,

Just bought myself a Carrera Axle Limited Edition Ladies Hybrid 27.5" in Purple.

This is my first bike since I was 14 and am really looking forward to riding again. I know the bike I've bought isn't anything special and nothing like a Giant or a Specialized but to be honest I'm not good when it comes to starting new hobbies. If I dont get on with it after a few months then it'll never be seen again so that's why I've gone for something a bit cheaper than most of you have bought.

Hopefully this will not be a one hit wonder and I will go onto doing what I'd love to do and cycle London to Paris. That is my goal, whether I'll be able to do it is another thing but I'd love to do it for charity in memory of my uncles who passed away so very young (40's)

Would love any tips on getting started in cycling and how to slowly increase fitness and also any comments on the bike I've just bought.

thanks Maz
Cost of the bike dont matter Maz. As long as you are out on it your still a cyclist the same as the next lycra clad roadie. Enjoy. Welcome to CC.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: Maz.

As others have said, the Carrera's are quite well regarded on here as being some of the cheapest decent bikes on the market.

My tip for getting started in cycling is to get your saddle height right. New riders tend to have it set way too low (thinking you're supposed to be able to put both feet on the ground when seated) which makes riding hard work and puts strain on the knees.

Enjoy it and let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mazcambs

Mazcambs

Hi and :welcome: Maz.

As others have said, the Carrera's are quite well regarded on here as being some of the cheapest decent bikes on the market.

My tip for getting started in cycling is to get your saddle height right. New riders tend to have it set way too low (thinking you're supposed to be able to put both feet on the ground when seated) which makes riding hard work and puts strain on the knees.

Enjoy it and let us know how you get on.:thumbsup:

Before I got this one I tried a Carrera that was already instore sat on it and thought it was too low. The guy in Halfords was so helpful and instead of perswading me to buy the one there, he looked on his computer and said if I need the seat any higher i'd be best to go for a bike that's slightly bigger instead. So I was going to get a 26" Carrera in medium, but as I had to have the seat high, he ordered me a different one but with 27.5" wheels and slightly bigger frame. Fitted me so much better.

Top Bottom