Another newbie "What bike?" thread.........from Sheffield.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gr33ny76

Regular
Hello Everyone

Another “what bike should I buy?” thread here. But I would also appreciate any general advice that you wonderful people can offer me as a newbie.

Without boring you, I’ll try to add as much context as possible.

I will be commuting in Sheffield, which is notorious for hills and poor roads. We are having a lot of money spent on our roads over the next few years, but my main concern is facing a lengthy hill climb at the end of my journey home each day, roughly a 500m elevation change overall . (S1 1WB to S10 4EB if you would like to see the route)

I mention this as I am unsure as to look into a road bike, hybrid or even still a mountain bike, based on the dodgy and steep roads.

My bike budget will be approximately £300-400 and I haven’t got a clue where to start, apart from putting out a plea to you guys. I am 36, 5’ 11” , 16st and have been going to the gym recently to lose weight and get bike fit. (already lost close to 1st)

Thank you in advance for your replies, I look forward becoming more active on this forum as I get started.

Cheers!

Paul

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My suggestion would be to look at the Triban 3 at Decathlon in Sheffield. £300 and is a good starter road bike.

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I don't know your exact route, but I sometimes go out into Derbyshire via Abbeydale Road – Millhouses Lane – Ringinglow Road which is a similar climb.

I use a road bike with triple chainrings, and I do a lot of the climb in my smallest gear: 30 teeth on the front and 28 on the rear (cassette). I have untreaded, narrow road tyres, and while I feel the bumps and holes in the road, I (and the bike) can cope with them without too much discomfort. You soon get used to looking ahead for bad bits of surface and easing your bum off the saddle to cushion the bouncing.
So I don't think that you need a hybrid or a mountain bike, but you might prefer one. You could then get even lower gears, and fatter tyres. That might make the climb easier and more comfortable. I wouldn't be tempted to get a bike with suspension. Despite what we think of them, the roads aren't bad enough to justify it.

If you decide on a road bike, I agree with DCLane that a Triban 3 is the best option for your price bracket, though I believe that the lowest gear on it is 30-25. If you tried it and found that you needed a smaller gear, you could buy a new cassette for less than £20.

OP
OP
Gr33ny76

Gr33ny76

Regular
Thanks for the replies.

I've not decided on my route yet, could be either Redmires/Manchester road, Fulwood road all the way in, or even down Ecclesall road. (I'll be experimenting and varying my route anyway) Each route would offer different gradients of hill, but which ever way I tackle it, it's uphill all the way home!

I've checked out the triban as per your recommendations and it looks like excellent value for money with some really good reviews. However, I'm still considering a hybrid so I can take it along Rivelin Valley, Porter Brook or even round Ladybower/Derwent reservoirs at weekends etc.

That said, what would be a good hybrid along the lines of a Triban in terms of price and/or quality? Even then, would a hybrid even be suitable for these kind of tracks? If its a case of a hybrid not being suitable, I might just go with the Triban3, stick t' roads and beware the Moon. :biggrin:

Thanks again

Paul

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
If it's a hybrid there'll be a lot of recommendations for the Carrera Subway from Halfords. Just make sure it's set up properly since their level of 'skill' varies widely from branch to branch.

vickster

Legendary Member
A solid forked hybrid should cope with most things on say semi-knobbly (smooth middle, knobbles on edges) ~35mm tyres, you only really need suspension for proper off roading and it is not helpful on roads

Something like a Giant Escape http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/giant-escape-3-12?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes ...or something like the Trek FX7.0 or 1 or an equivalent Ridgeback Comet http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3283&g=275957&p=275979&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Hybrids & City Bikes
Or a Halfords Subway, the 2012 Limited is £230 at the mo

A roadbike will not make a massive difference to speeds versus a lightish flatbar, especially if you have to choose a longer, more heavily trafficked route to compensate

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
It's already been covered well, but just to help confuse you further... ;) At 4.5miles your commute is relatively short so Id be inclined not to overly optimize for it to gain a minute or two a day at expense of versitility. I'd probably go for a hybrid with a wide range of gear ratios and i wouldnt rule out those with front suspension *if* you can get some with a lockout (so they can be locked in position), they're great fun offroad and pleasant on the road if the surface is crap.

A bit different to what others have suggested perhaps, but Id look at something like http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b3s18p9559&rs=gb&vid=32597 or http://www.leisurewheels.co.uk/products.php?plid=m9b3s18p9557&rs=gb&vid=32589 I cant look round for sale stuff at the moment, but if you could find a £450-500 hybrid discounted into your budget I think youd do pretty well.

Theyd still do the commute happily enough, but theyd give you lots of options of riding around trails and such at the weekend. If you're hardly ever leaving the road though, go for something more road orientated. :smile:

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Edinburgh Bike Co-op and Decathlon both have good stores in Sheff. Their own brand bikes are very good value. JE James have some good sale bikes. I'd go for a hybrid with wider tyres than a road bike. Sheffs roads are seriously bad.

This is a fairly lightweight hybrid http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/pro...-12?bct=browse/bicycles/commuter-hybrid-bikes

OP
OP
Gr33ny76

Gr33ny76

Regular
Hello Everyone and thank you all for your kind recommendations.

I have spent most of today bike window shopping with your recommendations in mind. I've been to Decathlon, JE James, Halfords and Edinburgh.

I really like the selection and service at Edinburgh and in fact, this is my favourite bike that comes in within budget and gives me money to spare for helmet, locks etc ( I forgot about that initially when considering my budget, oops)

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/revolution-courier-pursuit-12?bct=browse/bicycles

Any comments on the bike I have short-listed? I really like the revolution cross-bike recommended above, but I can't stretch that far on my budget :s Also, I still really like the look of the triban3 too. I just haven't found a good all round hybrid today :sad:

Fubar

Guru
+1 on the T3, however it looks as though you need/want something for the rough stuff as well - no idea about the revolution courier pursuit however other revolution products I've purchases are excellent quality! Regards, Mark

OP
OP
Gr33ny76

Gr33ny76

Regular
I went for the felt qx70 from wiggle in the end. Thank you everyone for your help. The last few weeks have been a real learning curve!

Top Bottom