Another Newby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big E

Hi

A couple of years ago, I decided that I wanted to ride a bike again. I can't remember what prompted it, as I hadn't ridden for over 20 years.

When I was a teenager, my parents bought me a brand new Peugeot Premiere. I rode it a fair bit but it had spent years off road, gathering dust in their attic.

It had all the original parts and after reattaching the front wheel, I took it for a spin. However, it hasn't really worked at all since and was very 'clunky' when riding it.

I assumed that new parts were needed, given the bikes age, so I added a cassette, derailleur, chain and two tyres to my Amazon wishlist. I have also built up a reasonable amount of bike tools in the last two years or so.

Originally, I thought I would just need to replace the old parts but the only items replaced so far are the tyres and one tube. After reading up on the subject, I was surprised to see how much importance is attached to cleaning a bike, as that is something I have never done before! However, I now believe that a thorough clean is the best place to start. I'd be surprised if this bike has more than 500 miles on the clock, so some of the original parts may be salvageable.

I've made a start and have cleaned the cassette and tonight I moved on to the chain ring. Apologies for the long preamble but what I'd like to know is how to separate the large chain ring from the smaller, so I can properly clean behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_195336.jpg
    IMG_20190514_195336.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190514_195336.jpg
    IMG_20190514_195336.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You probably should ask over in the technical subforum or the vintage one, but the basic idea is usually four or five chainring bolts... but it looks like yours may be riveted rather than bolted, so I'm not sure whether it comes apart and so "flossing" with workshop cloth or squirting sprays in and brushing out may be about all the cleaning you can do between them.

OP
OP
Big E

Big E

Thanks mjr. I did think about posting in the other threads you have mentioned However, after reading the forum guidelines I decided my first post should be in the new member thread.

Thanks for your answer. I was hoping to separate the chain rings but I think you're right. I'll have a go at flossing with a bit more effort I'll be one step nearer to getting my old bike back on the road where it belongs

Top Bottom