Another Nordkapp question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
My dream trip is to go north to south from the Nordkapp to the toe of Italy.

Has anybody else done a trip starting from the Nordkapp? If so what's the best way? E.g. where is the nearest airport and do you have to cycle from there to the cape?

Andy!
See my reply to the other Nordkapp question!
If you require more specific info, pm me; I'll be only too happy to try and help.
I cycled from southern Sweden to Gibraltar - I've lived in Sweden/Norway for nearly 16 years , so I should be able to give you some tips for the Scandinavian leg of your journey! xx(

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks Dayvo. I did a bit of a map study on it a couple of years ago and came to the conclusion that the Hurtigruten ferry (spelling?) might be the best way to get to the start point. Unfortunately it is highly unlikely that I would ever be able to do the trip in a oner as I had hoped. Maybe I'll have to use my hols to do it in legs over three or four years.

redfox

Hi Andy,

I had the exact same plan in mind and, like you, came to realise doing it one trip would not be possible.

I broke the route into three and did the Scandinavian part (Nordkapp to Copenhagen) in 2005. I planned to ride from Copenhagen to Venice last year but, after being relieved of my money, credit card and phone just after Frankfurt, I only got as far as Freiberg. I'm now beginning to think Istanbul might be a better place to finish.

Anyway, flying to Nordkapp required four flights (Oslo - Tromso - Hammerfest - Honningsvåg), so its a long day getting there, Norwegian Air arranged all the flights at a good price. It was 11 o'clock by the time I got there, but its not a problem as you will have 24 hour daylight. xx(

Feel free to contact me if you think I could be of any help.

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Thanks Redfox, that was exactly the info I needed (the flights I mean).

My idea for three legs was Nordkapp - Copenhagen, Copenhagen - Füssen (at the foot of the Bavarian Alps), Füssen to the toe of Italy.

Hard luck about getting robbed. If you do revert to your original plan, this route is a good one for getting through Germany: Hamburg, Bremen, Weser valley, Fulda valley, over the Rhon to the Sinn valley, Main valley to Wertheim, Romantische Strasse to Füssen.

redfox

Andy in Sig said:
Hard luck about getting robbed. If you do revert to your original plan, this route is a good one for getting through Germany: Hamburg, Bremen, Weser valley, Fulda valley, over the Rhon to the Sinn valley, Main valley to Wertheim, Romantische Strasse to Füssen.

Thanks Andy, but things have moved on. I returned to Frieberg later last year with the intention getting the bit to Venice done. I got to Belinzona near(ish) the Italian border in Switzerland, but had to stop because of knee injury.

The lack of good fortune last year lead to me not planning this years touring with the same degree of alacrity as usual. I plan to get back on track this year, but I see myself heading east rather than south now.

Good luck with Scandinavia, its a good ride. Take some lights for the tunnels!

Top Bottom