Another project - 1977 Union Oxford Deluxe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I quite often stick early bit low bids on things on eBay on the off chance I win them. I probably only win 5% of the time but they are usually bargains.

On Saturday whilst out on a nice trip out with the youngest I got a notification that I had won this Union. It was not too far away and I had been looking for a Dutch bike, so for £19 I was pretty happy. I picked it up that evening and Sunday morning spend an hour getting it ridable (in one gear) and took it out later that day.

It rides like I was imagining, very stable, very upright and feels even more the king of the road over my other three speeds. It needs a new shifter, which I think I have working one from the parts bundle I got last month. As usual tyres, tubes and cables will be swapped, but they are not so urgent, I'll probably stick Marathon Plus on it to make it bullet proof.

Brakes are drum brakes and seem to work fine.

Another for the fleet. Think I am full now, will have to be one in one out from now on.

IMG_20210320_180913.jpg

IMG_20210321_094056.jpg

IMG_20210321_103031.jpg

IMG_20210321_094112.jpg

IMG_20210321_094050.jpg

IMG_20210321_164139.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That’s a proper sit up and beg machine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Is that running on proper old-school heavy roadster 28" x 1 1/2" tyres? I'm not familiar with that particular make and model at all.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
I don't really know the names of tyres other than ERTO, they are 40-622, what does that make it in old money.

I was aware Union from Velocipedium as he has a couple of older ones. From speaking to a Dutch chap on Facebook it should have originally had a full plastic chain case, but that's been replaced by this half case l, which is actually quite nice. The wheels are stainless which is good too.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
So it's been about 2 months since I got the Union and to be honest other than sticking a new shifter on it I hadn't done anything. I've ridden it pretty much every day for the last 6 weeks and has become the default commuter / shopping bike.

This week I have treated it to new brake cables, new saddle, new Delta Cruiser Plus Tyres and a lovely set of Karrimor Panniers.

Took it out for a nice relaxing ride today and it's such a stunning bike to ride, even carrying it up the steps over the rail bridge was not a bother.

Need to get a new indicator rod so I can fit the new style shifter and do a bit more rust prevention. I'll probably swap the chain and replace the sprocket and also need to work out how to service the brakes.

ren531

Über Member
Excellent, unusual and interesting machine.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
Full circle on this one.

I used this Union as my errand bike all last summer, plus took it into Manchester on the commute a few times and out into the countryside, but once I got my Brompton it kind of got left in the garden looking a bit lonely. When my brother was after a bike to get to work on I swapped it with a friend for something suitable for my Brother, my friend was planning on using it to commute the mile to work that he currently drives.

Of all the bikes I have had and sold or passed on, this is the only one I have regretted letting go.

Anyway, he messaged me yesterday wanting to buy a compressor off me I bought and repaired, he had ridden the bike to work once in the 4 months he has had it, so I did a deal and swapped it back.

It will get pushed into full errand duty, so first job will be to fit a crate on the front, to match the one it gained on the back.

IMG_20220509_201001.jpg

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
So it's been about 2 months since I got the Union and to be honest other than sticking a new shifter on it I hadn't done anything. I've ridden it pretty much every day for the last 6 weeks and has become the default commuter / shopping bike.

This week I have treated it to new brake cables, new saddle, new Delta Cruiser Plus Tyres and a lovely set of Karrimor Panniers.

Took it out for a nice relaxing ride today and it's such a stunning bike to ride, even carrying it up the steps over the rail bridge was not a bother.

Need to get a new indicator rod so I can fit the new style shifter and do a bit more rust prevention. I'll probably swap the chain and replace the sprocket and also need to work out how to service the brakes.

View attachment 589021

View attachment 589022

View attachment 589023

View attachment 589024

View attachment 589025

I believe they have brake pads similar to older motorcycle ones but smaller. Not an expert by any stretch but I had one like this and that was what I discovered.

OP
OP
GeekDadZoid

GeekDadZoid

Über Member
It's something like this, they are not cheap though about £30 a wheel, but I guess if they last 40 years well worth it.

19218.jpg

Top Bottom