Another Raleigh Pioneer Classic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kenny Pride

Hello all...

I found this forum when researching the Raleigh Pioneer Classic. There was a thread a few months ago featuring one.
A neighbour of mine's just bequeathed me a rather sad looking one with no wheels or seat.

My backstory is I've started doing food delivery on my mate's bike (I've only ever ridden/got a bmx) but I need to get my own full size bike as I'm terrified his is gonna get nicked, and am wondering if this Pioneer is worth the time and effort to make good again? And what would be suitable amount of money to spend on the parts needed?

I measured the seat tube of the Pioneer and it's a whopping 25". I'm 5'8", not sure if this will ultimately be too big for me once the wheels are on?

Also I can't work out what wheel size it should have? I measured from where the axel was to the brake pads but it was only about 12.5", but elsewhere (eg eBay) I'm seeing these bikes seemed to come with 26" wheels? Does anyone know for sure?

Few photos attached for reference. Looking forward to some advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4457.JPG
    IMG_4457.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4458.JPG
    IMG_4458.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4459.JPG
    IMG_4459.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4461.JPG
    IMG_4461.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 47

sleuthey

Legendary Member
am wondering if this Pioneer is worth the time and effort to make good again?
No, not in my opinion. Unless you want the enjoyment of restoring it as a project over several Weeks / months while you use a temporary bike for your business use.

It would be like getting a Barn Find Morris Traveler and starting up an Airport Taxi service.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It'll be too big for you; 5' 8" means about a 20-21" frame, not a 25". The one listed also looks incomplete.

A basic Pioneer should be working and cost about £50 maximum. Restoring one will cost more.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hi Kenny and welcome. I would say it is a viable restoration. Source a new {or used) set of wheels, seat post, tyres, tubes and a bit of tidying up. youll need to source The parts cheaply. The problem is this frame is for someone 6’ plus so not suitable for you unfortunately But why don’t you do it up and sell it? Plenty of demand right now. Prices have gone crazy, if it was presentable and rideable then I’d say £100 +. You could then use that to fund a bike your size.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hello all...

Also I can't work out what wheel size it should have? I measured from where the axel was to the brake pads but it was only about 12.5", but elsewhere (eg eBay) I'm seeing these bikes seemed to come with 26" wheels? Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks!
The wheel size would be 700c, with 28 or 32mm tyres

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As has been stated it'll be far too big for you (I'm 5'10 and find a 22.5" frame a bit roomy.. although I do have a short torso).

As has also been stated it looks pretty uneconimical to repair unfortunately; I'd reckon on a decent, better-nick alternative costing a bit more than £50 (esp. in the current environment; maybe more like a ton) but the point still stands.

If I were you I'd bang in on FB marketplace or gumtree for £25 and put whatever you get for it towards something more suitable.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom