Another silver lining

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philtalksbx

Über Member
After the thefts I'm getting the n++ collection and the project roster back together.

The Raleigh Veloce has now been named the Disco Bike (see http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/every-dark-cloud-has-a-fluorescent-lining.164528/#post-3269881) and got its single speed rear end today. #1 son getting happier.

Meanwhile, I saw this and couldn't resist
fm6snb.jpg

Some work to do, including the removal of a stuck fast seat post (last owner was a good three inches taller, and alloy in steel, as ever corroded together) so if there are any bright ideas that haven't been posted a dozen times please let me know. Rode it home yesterday afternoon - better than I expected so that's a great start. The faded red but now pink bar tape has to go....

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
loads of plus gas and a big pair of stilsons

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
Yep, I'm thinking of cutting off the top of the seatpost to get access, then spraying in the plus gas and turning it upside down overnight to let it drain and seep into the joint inside the frame, then try it with something big and agricultural. I hear cola sometimes works on the joint as well, that may be the second night.....

GGJ

Veteran
Don't apply too much pressure when trying to remove the post or you could end up twisting the seat tube

OP
OP
philtalksbx

philtalksbx

Über Member
I went mechanical in the end. Tried heat and cold, nothing doing. Plus gas and cola with a big wrench, still no good. Drilled it and tried turning a screwdriver but broke the screwdriver. Finally a cheap and cheerful open ended hacksaw from B&Q plus a lot of care did the job.
24ymoih.jpg

The tool is awesome by the way, perfect for this sort of thing every restorer should have one. I couldn't believe how thick the post was, and check out the corrosion on the lower end of the tube. I cut it about 10mm above the frame top so there wasn't much in the frame but boy was it tight. It took four cuts and a narrow screwdriver pretending to be a cold chisel to get it free.

All done now so I'm off in search of a new seatpost, cheers!

Top Bottom