Another SMIDSY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
Cylcling down King Street doing about 25mph and some mad woman in her BMW with the usual mobile phone glued to her ear came straight out of a side road without even looking. I shouted at her and slammed on the brakes and managed to stop about 2 inches from her door. Initially she was very apologetic but then started screaming at me to watch where I was going. A couple of PCSO's heard the commotion and immediately started castigating me for riding too fast. Luckily a couple of peds stepped in and told them what had happened. They then let the woman continue without even bollicking her for driving without due care and attention etc.

Iceniner

yorkshiregoth said:
riding too fast

Unless you were breaking the speed limit (unlikely) this statement is a complete joke. Had some guy almost pull out of a junction into me yesterday least he backed off and gave me room.

Least your're ok!

Maz

Guru
PCSOs are Ok for just strolling around and chatting to shopkeepers. Other than that they are just a friendly reassuring face but are crap at doing any policing.

Glad you are OK, YG.

yorkshiregoth said:
Cylcling down King Street doing about 25mph and some mad woman in her BMW with the usual mobile phone glued to her ear came straight out of a side road without even looking. I shouted at her and slammed on the brakes and managed to stop about 2 inches from her door. Initially she was very apologetic but then started screaming at me to watch where I was going. A couple of PCSO's heard the commotion and immediately started castigating me for riding too fast. Luckily a couple of peds stepped in and told them what had happened. They then let the woman continue without even bollicking her for driving without due care and attention etc.

This whole story is depressing. Good on the passers-by though.

gavintc

Guru
I was taken out by an old man in a car last weekend at the end of the club run. He pulled across my front, I pulled the brakes but slid to the ground. A passiing ped stopped him. He was completely gaga and was unable to even talk to me when I asked him why he had tried to kill me. It was even more depressing as an old man (reportedly of 94) had taken out a club rider earlier. Sadly the other rider was taken to hospital from had injuries. Bloody old cagers.

gavintc said:
I was taken out by an old man in a car last weekend at the end of the club run. He pulled across my front, I pulled the brakes but slid to the ground. A passiing ped stopped him. He was completely gaga and was unable to even talk to me when I asked him why he had tried to kill me. It was even more depressing as an old man (reportedly of 94) had taken out a club rider earlier. Sadly the other rider was taken to hospital from had injuries. Bloody old cagers.

I hope they are OK.
My closest on a club run was just approaching that big roundabout at Musseburgh I think the one they converted to signal where for a while the club was using the underpass instead. Theres a small t' junction imediately to the east of it and a car decided as the road was almost jammed it'd be clear for them to sweep right in, forget the dozen or so bikes with brightly coloured cyclist. I slammed on the front brake and did an endo, I'm glad it was a dry day I stopped almost instantly.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crikey YG!!! I'm chuffed you're OK, but I would have been frothing at the mouth with those PCSOs, taken their details and made a complaint. That so feels like anti-cyclist bullsh1t from the start.

yorkshiregoth said:

Terrible – but, in my experience, not a surprising attitude from pcso’s – who seem to have an even lower understanding of most things then Jade Goody.

I’m not recommending or advocating it, but I’d be tempted to be a little slower on the breaks, collide “gently” with the car and if possible perhaps causing minor damage – then, as there has been damage to property in an RTA the police would have to take your version of events seriously, might even look into it before jumping to anti cyclist conclusions, check mobile phone records, and the poor excuse for a driver might even get what they deserve –

Rant nearly over

– but had a close one with a moron glued to the handset earlier in the week – they were completely unaware both before and after pulling out in front of me – but I guess the police, councils and courts have got real dangers to the public to deal with – like people who slightly overfill their bins…

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Are these plastic plods required to have any knowledge of the law? Thank god we don't have them here in Scotland.

Hairy Jock said:
Are these plastic plods required to have any knowledge of the law? Thank god we don't have them here in Scotland.

Nah. But if you need a Subway near you - they'll know. Good for directions to coffee bars and kebab shops if you find yourself in need the next time you visit London Hairy Jock.
Oh! And they nick the 'old lady seats' at the front of buses so they can pretend to be drivers. keep an eye on unruly schoolchildren (who always go upstairs to rob as the PCSOs are too effing porky and unfit to make it off the bus - let alone climb stairs on a moving vehicle...with the bus driver tapping out a syncopated beat on the accelerator and brake pedals.
I generalise. ;)

Top Bottom