Another 'sun in my eyes' Death Acquittal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
"I didn't see him that day because of the sun. Maybe it was bouncing off his high-vis vest – I don't know,"

Another one in the Hi-Vis approach.

Drago

Legendary Member
This is ridiculous. If you can't see then the onus is on the driver to stop the vehicle immediately. Even worse, its clearly bollards as none of the other drivers had issues with visibility.

The law needs changing to remove this ridiculous defence, as it has for the so called rough sex defence. It is unacceptable that people are lying their backsides off to evade justice and the system not only permits it but seems to positively encourage it.

Brandane

Legendary Member
How can SMIDSY possibly be a defence? Obviously you didn't see the victim, because presumably if you HAD seen them, you wouldn't have driven into them!
Therefore the problem is that when you were blinded by the low sun, you didn't take the appropriate action as required by the law to drive with due care and attention. You didn't slow down or stop, you simply carried on driving blindly into an area which you couldn't possibly see was clear.
How can a jury fall for this defence, time and time again?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How can a jury fall for this defence, time and time again?
One of the commenters in the article has this figured out. The jury are more than likely all motorists themselves and are making sure they can use the same bs when they're in the firing line.
It's sickening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's one reason I have a couple of lights with a 'day flash', especially in low sun in winter. That said, there is no-way this is an excuse as the sun is there every day, it's not as though it's magically appeared (unless you've been in Manchester the last 6 months :whistle:)

A fair few years ago I saw two accidents involving cyclists getting hit from cars pulling out of side junctions. Same week, nearly the same location. Reason was the clocks had changed, and that pesky sun was suddenly low in the sky in the morning, rather than still being below the horizon. Really brought it home. Always be extra careful around clock changes.

icowden

Veteran
One of the commenters in the article has this figured out. The jury are more than likely all motorists themselves and are making sure they can use the same bs when they're in the firing line.
Seems unlikely. What is more likely is that they have been given quite tight direction as to what they should consider. Remember - they were not to consider whether the van hit the cyclist, that was not the issue. The only issue to debate was whether the van driver's driving had fallen below a reasonable standard of driving - beyond reasonable doubt.

Top Bottom