Another thread about turbo trainers...which one would you suggest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi

I am on the lookout for a wheel-off turbo trainer. I was almost set on the wahoo kickr core, but then this morning I found out of a compatibility issue between the kickr core and some bikes, one of which is the Giant TCR advanced 2021, which I own.

Saw a few internet threads and a video on youtube saying how the thru axle adapter would bash against the bike frame, wouldn't allow for the thru axle to be fully tightened and also would scratch and chip away some of paint of the frame.

The guy of the video had the adaptor machined to allow for the bike to sit correctly, but I'm not in the business of fixing problems and doing bodge jobs; if I pay £699 for something I would expect there to be no problems in the first place.

Does anyone have any more info about this compatibility issue? Has wahoo rectified it yet? Otherwise, which other turbo trainer would you recommend that's pretty much on the same level of the kickr core?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Sorry - can't really help. I went from a very dumb turbo (but power pedals) to a wheel-off NEO 2T. Maybe try posting on one of the Zwift Forums.

Cheers.

I've discarded the wahoo altogether; I'm now settled on a Elite Direto XR, the top of the line model that comes fully assembled and with a cassette. Viewed a tons of reviews on youtube and sounds like one of the best out there. Plus, I can't find any mentions of compatibility issues so it would appear to be a safe bet.

Now waiting for my next paycheck to kick in :laugh:

Rousco

Hello fair weather cyclist,

I also own a tcr advanced (2021) and I am thinking about buying the direto xr. Could you confirm that it is compatible with this bike? Or did you end up buying another trainer instead?

Cheers!

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Wahoo had apparently worked with many bike companies and come up with a set of adapters that fix most issues. GPLAMA had a video about it iirc

Have an Elite Direto (earlier one) and it's been spot on; no problems with syncing on Zwift even after sitting for a few months.

Heigue'r

Veteran

Rousco

Thanks for the replies! I am more inclined to buying the Elite Direto XR for the moment (it's quite a lot cheaper currently). I cannot find any posts on the internet indicating that the giant tcr advanced (2021) bikes are not compatible with this trainer. It would be nice to see this confirmed however :smile:

Hello fair weather cyclist,

I also own a tcr advanced (2021) and I am thinking about buying the direto xr. Could you confirm that it is compatible with this bike? Or did you end up buying another trainer instead?

Cheers!
Hi, yes I bought the elite direto xr and I confirm it is compatible with the Giant TCR Advanced 2021 model. Overall it's a great turbo trainer, I like it, it's super easy to set up and connects super easily with the training software I use: trainerroad and zwift. I highly recommend it.

Top Bottom