Another thread on hybrids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kompot

Hi all.
This looks to be the most helpful forum on the 'net for bikes choice advise, so here I am!

My & my partner are looking for 2 bikes to ride with our son and to do school runs on tarmac (80-90% use) and occasionally use on woodland paths (10-20%). He's 4 and has started on a balance bike (great lil' Isla) when he was 2 and has been pedalling competently on his second bike (vitus) since last year, and he loves it!

We used to have a carrera crossfire 2 which got stolen. We couldn't tell much wrong about it to be fair, so there's our competence level...

After much research here (last 10+ pages) I found similar threads and concluded we both want:
  1. rigid hybrid bikes
  2. comfy upright position rather than leaning/aero
  3. disc brakes, hydraulic or mechanical
  4. I'm considering wrap-around mudguards front & rear - which bikes have this option/fixings?
  5. I know nothing on drive/brakes/etc quality so any poor/bad/good/better comments would be very useful
  6. these can be changed later easily but ideally bike would come with at least minimal thread on the tyres rather than slicks, wide/comfortable saddle & ergonomic grips
  7. my partner is not fussed about lowered or full step-through frame
We haven't set a strict budget, but we don't want to overdo it - great majority of riding will be along a 4 year old and it's going to be very leisury.
We need fairly basic bikes, looking for ca £400-500 area excluding accs (per bike).
I found the below bikes after excluding carreras/subways/riverside and some bikes with a single front gear, the more expensive ones we found offers for (need to double check if because only XS size is left etc...):

LINK

I really struggled to found the differences between pinnacles 1, 2 & 3... so maybe you could help here.

We can use C2W on at least 1 bike and we also have a 25% discount at halfords!
Halfords and Evans cycle are in town, nearest decathlon is 30 minutes away - important in context of any warrant repairs fuss etc.

Both bikes will get the same use, the only reason we'd not choose the same brand & model is comfort/geometry. We'll try them all when we narrow the choices.
I'm 6'1", my partner is 5'8".

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers

OP
OP
K

kompot

Hello, is anybody able to help compare these bikes? Many thanks in advance!

Gillstay

Über Member
I would not buy the bikes you have listed, but get a second hand ones. Its not hard to find a good one in my experience. You could get both bikes for under 500 notes. If your limited by a 4 yr old you don't need flash bikes. Many times I have seen blokes on flash bikes being tricky about their girlfriend on a rubbish bike not keeping up. The slowest person needs the best bike and then worst bike ensures you get your exercise.
I see you are not going to use them much, but feel you need discs which too me seems to limit your choices for no good reason.
Soon as your son can cope with 1/2 toe clips fit them as he will do much better then and help his confidence. Zefal ones are good and come in small sizes. Good luck.

Alex321

Veteran
Personally, of the bikes you list, I would go for the Boardman. They generally produce very good value for money bikes,. Hydraulic discs are definitely better than mechanical, and their gear range is about the widest of any of those bikes. You will be wanting the low end gears when riding with the 4 year old, but the high end will come in useful when you are by yourself.

My previous bike was a Boardman hybrid, and it did me very well for a few years and several thousand miles, until I changed to a Cube road bike about a year ago - but the Cube was four times the price.

OP
OP
K

kompot

Thank you for all the responses.
We went for a Boardman HYB 8.6 (his) and Voodoo Marasa (hers) last weekend, we pick them up tomorrow.
We had 25% discount on the Voodoo and some other cheaper bikes through Perkbox app and 10% on every other one which helped make our minds. I think we made pretty good deals.
I had my mind set initially for used bikes for the reasons mentioned but really struggled to find decent ones in the area, and expecting we'll keep these for years, so decided to treat ourselves and get these before season ends.

kingspirit

Thank you for all the responses.
We went for a Boardman HYB 8.6 (his) and Voodoo Marasa (hers) last weekend, we pick them up tomorrow.
We had 25% discount on the Voodoo and some other cheaper bikes through Perkbox app and 10% on every other one which helped make our minds. I think we made pretty good deals.
I had my mind set initially for used bikes for the reasons mentioned but really struggled to find decent ones in the area, and expecting we'll keep these for years, so decided to treat ourselves and get these before season ends.

Very good deals, well done! Enjoy your new bikes. Dont know much about Voodoo, but Boardman HYB 8.6 is very decent bike for the money. I myself have a old Boardman MTX 8.6 (2016) - and never had any issues it, bombproof bikes

Top Bottom