Another touring "what bike" thread - Sub 1K

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Hello, I'm looking for my first touring bike and would like advice. I'm intending to do some extended rides of several days self supported and I'm not sure my other current bikes (a carbon road bike and a couple of basic and decrepit hybrids) will quite cut it. As an example of what I'm planning, I'm looking to do a few short local tours this year, 70 to 100 miles a day building towards doing LEJOG in May 2021 unsupported and in about 10-14 days or so. From there, who knows.

I currently really fancy the Genesis Tour de Fer 10... my reasoning being that it seems to have everything I need in terms of ability, gearing, a good bit of carrying capacity, and not too much that I don't need. To be honest I'd prefer that it didn't have the basic disc brakes that it does, because I've never used or serviced them so that's an unknown that I have to learn to fix before LEJOG. I'd like rim brakes... I know, they're dying out to some extent.
I've also been considering a Surly Long Haul Trucker but I find them a bit ugly, not that it's a big factor.

What else should I consider? Ridgeback? Dawes?

The important things are: It has to have drop bars, I like to move around the bars during the day, so flat bars are a no. It has to have a triple ring, I can't get up big hills loaded up without a Granny ring.

Budget is about 1K.

Thank you for your opinions!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A steel tourer from Spa in Harrogate matches your spec, not least because Spa will customise gearing and components.

The rim brake version isn't currently on the website, but the Wayfarer disc version is.

It has canti bosses, so I imagine could be ordered with rim brakes.

On t'other hand, the disc compatible frame has more clearance for wider tyres.

There's even short and long frame versions, whatever that means.

https://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s225p3866/SPA-CYCLES-Wayfarer

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Steel Tourer drop bar from Spa fits the bill, these are Ex Demo for £885. Not sure what stock they have as the website isn’t totally clear with this model.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s221p3925/SPA-CYCLES-Steel-Tourer-Drop-Bar-(Ex-Demo)
The Genesis would be my choice though, It looks good and has the spec you want, you just have to take a tutorial on disc brakes, YouTube is good.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
The Spa Touring (their first bike produced) would fit your bill if they still did the drop bar version, but for some reason, they don't. I can't understand that one at all :wacko: However, if you were to ask nicely, Spa might fit a drop bar and the relevant parts. The bikes are assembled in the shop so it wouldn't be a huge burden on them. I would avoid the 26" wheel version though. Tyres that would fit within the bikes clearances are few and far between. I speak from experience. The 700c version doesn't have that issue although you would still be limited to 37mm tyres if memory serves. The bikes were made to accommodate mini v brakes and brifters.

The Wayfarer would be your best bet.
As pointed out by @Pale Rider there is a short and long version. The short version is made for drop bar users and the long version for flat bar users. This info was given to me by the guy who designed them, colin531 of the CUK forum. There is iirc, 1-2 cm difference between them.
The original Wayfarer was designed with fitting for both rim brakes (canti/V) and disc brakes. I understand from colin that newer bikes would be supplied without the cant/V mounts although I can't say whether that happened or not.

Braking is where there will be lots of discussion as we all know. However I will say this...STI units absolutely will not work with full size V brakes. There are gadgets and workarounds designed to fix this but they all result in loss of power, feel or control. Mini v brakes in my experience have the same issue and then some. They're no more powerful than standard cantis and have the added non benefit of restricting tyre size and clearance. You're then left with the option of fitting V brake levers and either down tube or bar end shifters or forgetting v brakes altogether and sticking with cantis. Which despite what anyone says, are absolute pants on a loaded tourer.
Disc brakes...I can understand your reluctance but, they're worth it.
The Spyre brakes fitted as standard work like caliper or cant brakes in that both brake pads move in to pinch the rotor. I understand from some that there have been issues with the pads sticking in the open and closed position and it's due to the complicated internals that allow both pads to move. I avoided buying those because of that and chose the road version Avid BB7's instead. I understand that the standard versions are more powerful.
The Avid's only allow one pad to move whilst the other is set. As I discovered when I took mine to bits, it's a very simple design which hasn't changed for 10+ years with good reason. They just work. Apart from bedding in the pads which involves finding a long hill, getting up to 20mph and braking like hell a few times, they are fit and forget. Till new pads are needed anyway.
Other benefits are that your rims won't wear out which makes them stronger in the long term and your wheels don't get covered in horrible mucky goo in the wet.
Other plus points for the Spa are the wheels are hand built as is the entire bike. And you get a really good rear rack.

Disclaimer: I own a Wayfarer, but built it myself. ^_^

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Don't overlook the vintage lugged steel stuff. One of these should fit the bill nicely:-

Don't be fooled by the stripped-down appearance, a Raleigh Royal is a proper Touring bike and it's price when new in 1985 would be the equivalent of £1,000 in today's money, so a pretty high quality machine. I took the mudguards and rack off as I don't actually use it for touring, but it's comfortable enough to ride all day long. In fact, it's the best-riding bike I own, even running on factory-spec relatively narrow 27" x 1 1/8" Michelin Club Tour tyres. The frame is mostly Reynolds 531 DB, and in the condition pictured it weighs less than 26lbs, which is light for a long-wheelbase 23 1/2" size lugged steel bike.
I bought it secondhand last year and it owes me the princely sum of £33 so far, which was an absolute steal as Royals can fetch pretty strong money used, just like Dawes Galaxies often do.

OP
OP
CanucksTraveller

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I just want to say thank you all so much for the input and thoughts, I'd not considered Spa yet, so that's an avenue I'll explore thanks to the suggestions and detailed views. Lots of options for me to think about and I appreciate the input.

Thanks also for the sage advice on discs, looks like I really need to just move with the times and learn how they work / break / get fixed. It shouldn't be so hard, I guess it's just fear of the unknown.

@Cycleops and Vickster, thank you, I'd seen the Ridgeback thread but unfortunately that would be too small, I'm a reasonably big rider generally needing about a 58-60cm or L to XL frame depending on make.

I've ruled out the Trek just on the grounds that I own one already and would like something different. The Cinelli I do quite like.

And I'm not ruling out used, so thanks for the suggestions on those too. :okay:

I just want to say thank you all so much for the input and thoughts, I'd not considered Spa yet, so that's an avenue I'll explore thanks to the suggestions and detailed views. Lots of options for me to think about and I appreciate the input.

Thanks also for the sage advice on discs, looks like I really need to just move with the times and learn how they work / break / get fixed. It shouldn't be so hard, I guess it's just fear of the unknown.

@Cycleops and Vickster, thank you, I'd seen the Ridgeback thread but unfortunately that would be too small, I'm a reasonably big rider generally needing about a 58-60cm or L to XL frame depending on make.

I've ruled out the Trek just on the grounds that I own one already and would like something different. The Cinelli I do quite like.

And I'm not ruling out used, so thanks for the suggestions on those too. :okay:

have a look at www.freewheel.co.uk

ex stock madison bikes

Top Bottom