another way home from salford to rossendale?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
as the title states. could do with a change from the a56? anyone know of another way? don't mind if it's longer as i will use it to build up miles on my 1/2 days. perhaps just a nice 10 or 15 mile add on to see something nice.

i could always add on the miles at home but the hills are a no no whilst commuting so much.

cheers

al78

Guru
If you want to avoid hills there really aren't a lot of alternatives. The valley route is taken up by the M66 and A56, the few alternatives will involve at least a partial climb up the valley sides.

Checking the OS map I would suggest trying to get to Radcliffe then take the B6292 northwards towards Ottington. This will change to an unclassified road - keep heading in a northward direction and follow signs to Tottington. From there, head towards Ramsbottom which involves turning right onto the A676 then shortly left onto the B6214. This road takes you parallel to the A56 and M66 through the same valley, but at a higher elevation (the gradients do not look that bad though). Turn right onto the B6214 which takes you into Haslingden where you can pick up a minor road that runs parallel to the A681 which brings you into the Rossendale valley.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
thanks. the later part is they way i normally use but the beginning sounds good. you misunderstand me, hills don't bother me but the hills i'd need to go up to extend my ride near home take me to places like hebden bridge.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Shaun, How about this?

Ride to Salford Crescent station, fold your Brompton up and get on the Clitheroe train. A £2.90 off-peak single will get you to Hall-i-th-Wood station, only 17 minutes away. I plotted a route through Tottington, Greenmount, Ramsbottom, Stubbins, Helmshore, Haslingden, Rawtenstall and up the A682 to home. Sure, it is slightly hillier than your normal commute (about 600 m or 2,000 ft spread over 4 climbs) but it is shorter at 25.5 km (16 miles).

bigjim

Legendary Member
Hilton Lane, prestwich on to scholes lane, into heaton park [no cars] past lake or hall down past golf course to entrance, turn left up path, [still no cars] past pub to cycle track under underpass, turn left up heywood road [long hill] through bowlee [nice countryside] turn right before heywood past queens park, [another hill but short sharp] turn right turn left at end into norden road to end turn left through village all the way to edenfield. Good workout with some testing hills, nice scenery [my training route].
Jim

Top Bottom