'Another' what bike thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
NCFC-Biker

NCFC-Biker

Regular
Pretty sure I'm going to get the Boardman. Now going to Halfords to have a proper look at it. Can be had for £450 today with 25% discount plus 10% flash sale, plus 10% British cycling membership.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...egoryId=165534&productId=992033&storeId=10001

Not a bad deal I don't think :smile:

OP
OP
NCFC-Biker

NCFC-Biker

Regular
Oops.

Home and now have the bike. Happy with it. Want to get out on it asap.

Got a Magnum plus U lock with cable, some cat eye lights and a couple of spare inner tubes while I was there. Just need to find some good 'mug' guards and a helmet.

Thank you all for your help so far.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Do they wear helmets over there then? Few do here but more seem to in Norwich.

Enjoy the bike! Maybe see you on a ride if you're ever over here or I'm riding from Norwich :smile:

OP
OP
NCFC-Biker

NCFC-Biker

Regular
Iv
Do they wear helmets over there then? Few do here but more seem to in Norwich.

Enjoy the bike! Maybe see you on a ride if you're ever over here or I'm riding from Norwich :smile:

Ive seen some people in helmets. I never had one when I used to cycle as a kid/teenager, but I don't think there will be any harm in wearing one now I'm older and wiser :smile:

Thanks, yeah, although I don't think I'll be doing huge amounts of miles to start with. Will build up slowly. What bike to you have? Where abouts do you live?

vickster

Legendary Member
Helmet is entirely up to you, there are strong views on both sides

OP
OP
NCFC-Biker

NCFC-Biker

Regular

vickster

Legendary Member
It won't stop you being knocked off or squashed but it might save your noggin if you have a slow speed fall

I wear one, makes me feel safer, don't care what others think :smile:. But make sure you get one that is comfortable and fits properly

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Being new to cycling, personally I don't see any harm at all. If anything it will keep the other half happy thinking I'm safe :smile:
And that's why it's worth reading the helmet debate, as the best evidence seems to be harm cancelling out any personal benefit, which leaves the harm to society of discouraging others from cycling... but I'll write no more here as it's all over there.

I'm puzzled by the variation within Norfolk, though, so my earlier question was genuine :smile:

OP
OP
NCFC-Biker

NCFC-Biker

Regular
First ride done!

Bloody hell I'm un-fit!!

Started off feeling wobbly... Been a long time since I've even used a bike, even worse being on road, in the pouring rain.. Felt a bit better after the first mile or so though. The bike was brilliant, felt good (a bit bumpy in comparison to my old full suspension bike when I was a teenager). Gears changed very fast and smoothly, brakes felt sharp although they did sound like they were scraping a bit.

The only thing I didn't like was the grips. Felt like I had no grip at all, didn't even feel wide enough and like I was hanging on for my life!! :biggrin:

Only did just under 6 miles, averaging 12.6mph... It's a start & I'll aim to improve.

Already looking forward to being fitter & nicer weather.

Top Bottom